Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10NL Zoom JTs from BB in min-raised pot 3way

Old
10NL Zoom JTs from BB in min-raised pot 3way - Sun Mar 23, 2014, 11:49 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2012
I'll try not to create a wall of text this hand.

Villain 5 is an unknown, only two hands on him including this one, and this is the one he played.

Villain 1 is playing 13/7 over 15 hands, including this one, so pretty unknown but looking quite tight so far.

The hand, I think plays itself until the river, I just called pre because I was getting a decent price with a speculative hand. Call flop because I have TP and SD. Call turn because I have trips and SD. I river what figures to be the nuts.

I elected to donk the river because the board double paired. To a lot of hands this will be pretty scary and they can check behind. I'm beat by quads but I can get value from hands like 77, 97s, T8s. He bets a decent size on the flop and turn so I definitely think he has a value hand.

Was this the optimal line to take on the river against an unknown who figures to have a second best hand?

Old
Mon Mar 24, 2014, 08:25 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
I like your line, but when you size your bets you've got to think about what you want to get called by:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoylegend View Post
I'm beat by quads but I can get value from hands like 77, 97s, T8s. He bets a decent size on the flop and turn so I definitely think he has a value hand.
Imagine you're holding 97 or 77 and are led into for an 80% pot bet. Would you call? Leading for such a large sizing with the line you've taken looks super strong to the point where it is probably only with 99 or Jx and you might easily scare the villain into folding his worse boats.

If you want to get lower boats or a straight to call, I'd make it much smaller, something like 1/2 pot.

Old
Mon Mar 24, 2014, 01:14 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by spand42 View Post

Imagine you're holding 97 or 77 and are led into for an 80% pot bet. Would you call? Leading for such a large sizing with the line you've taken looks super strong to the point where it is probably only with 99 or Jx and you might easily scare the villain into folding his worse boats.
I can play pretty fishy at times, and I credit most of the player pool with that same talent, so I actually did think that those hands would call my bet. Point taken though, against a known competent player, I will be more careful to make it a size that my target hands can call.

Here was the result (Names removed):

*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $11.45 | Rake $0.52
Board [7d Jc 9s Jd 9c]
Seat 1: (button) mucked [8d Td]
Seat 2: (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 3: (big blind) showed [Jh Th] and won ($10.93) with a full house, Jacks full of Nines
Seat 4: folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: folded on the Turn
Seat 6: folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com