Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$3.00+$0.30 USD Hold'em No Limit

Old
$3.00+$0.30 USD Hold'em No Limit - Sun Mar 23, 2014, 02:03 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2014

do i just have the worst luck

Old
Mon Mar 24, 2014, 05:04 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi donkkilla76!

With AKs, I get a min-raise then 2 calls in front of me. I'm going to 3-bet here and the key is the sizing of it. A standard 3-bet is to between 3X the previous bet (120) and a pot-sized raise (180). With 2 callers of the initial raise, I'll go for the top end of this range and raise to 180.

I flop top pair/top kicker on a wet board (both a flush and straight draws possible). When it checks to me, I'm going to make a standard value bet. Bets postflop need to be sized based on the size of the pot, number of opps and board texture. With 2 opps, a standard bet is 2/3 pot, so I will bet 427.

I want to make these bets standard, as by overbetting both of them, I leave the opp no choice, but to shove and they will do so only with hands that I'm in a coin-flip with or ones that I'm behind. Also, on the flop, I do not want to bet more than 427, as doing so, I will be pot-committed, so a pot-sized bet is not something I even want to consider. If I'm pot-committed, I cannot fold, so I'd need to shove.

The result would be the same (why we don't want to be results oriented), but the key is with the bet sizes as both are too high and force the opp to play their hand correctly against me.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Mar 25, 2014, 02:20 AM
(#3)
Since: Mar 2014
i think the real problem with the hand is calling a big raise with kj suited after that hit top pair and having a flush draw there was clearly no way of playing this that would get him away from it, its a problem i find in most mtt on here people seem to be happy to call a raise no matter how big with any 2 cards

Old
Tue Mar 25, 2014, 08:40 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
With KJs, when I hit top pair and a flush draw on the flop, there is no way I should EVER fold here. The pot odds are too good for as large as my hand equity is.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com