Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Are You Aggressive Enough Playing Poker?

View Poll Results: Do you play aggressively enough at the poker tables?
No, I find it hard to play aggressively and lose a lot of chips when I do. 3 6.00%
If I hit the flop hard I'll be aggressive, otherwise I'll check-fold 9 18.00%
I bet aggressively in good spots, value-betting, semi-bluffing, or just plain old bluffing. 35 70.00%
Manic aggression is my choice of playing style. 3 6.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old
Are You Aggressive Enough Playing Poker? - Mon Mar 24, 2014, 06:59 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
They say that the most profitable poker players are aggressive players. Do you agree?

Think about your own play and on a scale of 1 - 10 post below how aggressive you think your playing style is.

Do you find it difficult playing aggressively and does it cost you chips?

Let us know all your thoughts and questions about playing with aggression below

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Mar 24, 2014, 07:05 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
I'd put myself on a scale of 4/10

If I hit the flop hard I'll be aggressive, otherwise I'll check-fold

Aggression is something I really need to work on.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Mar 24, 2014, 07:32 AM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2012
I'd put myself around 7 out of 10 most days

I play TAG style which borders on being a nit early in a MTT but as the game progresses i will have solid vpip n pfr stats and im not afraid to pass on a flip if i have a good read, and once i have a big stack i use it to good effect stealing and picking on the weak players to maintain my stack.

I know theres a thread on here about TAG players dont win MTT's which i think is utter drivel, its not the tight or loose that wins MTT's its the aggression that wins games.

Old
Mon Mar 24, 2014, 07:37 AM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2013
I would say I am more aggressive to my keyboard, knee and probably wall sometimes.
5/10 cause I've seen more aggressive ones.

Old
Mon Mar 24, 2014, 07:40 AM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2012
you cant wait for hands, i was so dead in the micro millions i had to find spots other than wait for cards, if you be aggressive you cant do it blindly and hope for the best, you have to be smart about it and pick your players, just a couple of spots from the same tourney displaying my aggression, id rate myself very aggressive at times, but at other times im very passive, you have to be able to adapt to each environment you are placed in

http://www.boomplayer.com/poker-hand...027_C74DECD5DF
http://www.boomplayer.com/poker-hand...544_06E1E9506C

Old
Mon Mar 24, 2014, 09:27 AM
(#6)
Since: Apr 2012
When i play regular ring games or MTT SNG's, i play maybe 5/10 because when i have big hand, i play it aggressive, also big draws.

When i play vs more thinking opponents, on PSO or when i play large field MTT, if table allows it, i will play borderline maniac so 10/10

Old
Mon Mar 24, 2014, 10:04 AM
(#7)
Since: Dec 2011
All professional players I ever saw playing online are aggressive. But also capable of big lay downs. Check this amazing hand by André Akkari: http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...305_DC748C382D

Time Vault Champion 2013

Old
Mon Mar 24, 2014, 11:17 AM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2010
LAG Play Wrecks the Micros.
30/27/3 with a 7% 3bet.
Boo Yeah.

Old
Mon Mar 24, 2014, 11:27 AM
(#9)
Since: Nov 2010
9/10

Old
Mon Mar 24, 2014, 11:43 AM
(#10)
Since: Aug 2010
2/10

Old
Mon Mar 24, 2014, 02:11 PM
(#11)
Since: Mar 2014
I Truly Don't know how aggressive i am . I do try and make the best of late position and bet big if i got it . i tend too see weak player/ weak hand or people that hesitate and bet big and it usually pays off. also the less people the more inclined to be aggressive. 7/10

Old
Mon Mar 24, 2014, 02:46 PM
(#12)
Since: Aug 2010
I like to play aggressive 5/10

Old
Mon Mar 24, 2014, 02:52 PM
(#13)
Since: Jan 2012
I think I'm a warm 6 maybe 7 out of 10

Old
Mon Mar 24, 2014, 04:55 PM
(#14)
Since: Feb 2011
I don't think I'm "right" aggressive enough, I struggle when someone bets into me, especially a whale that can and does play any 2. I know we only hit the flop 1 time in 3 but they seem to hit it every time. When you do call them down they always have it, whether it's bottom pair or hitting a gutshot. If you increase the aggression towards them then it's like a red flag to a bull.

I need to work on all aspects of my game so as to increase my aggression in the right way. There is no point increasing it for the sake of it, I need to work on increasing it in the right spots. I can judge a STT well as you need to change gears but I always tend to fall below average in MTTs even after building a big stack early on.

I think over aggressiveness is just as bad than under aggressiveness but if you notice a MTT it's always the whales that race into the lead by gambling.

edit

1/10 at the start of a STT
11/10 at the end

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by Ovalman; Mon Mar 24, 2014 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: added edit

Old
Mon Mar 24, 2014, 06:50 PM
(#15)
I'm amazed that everyone is talking about "their" MTT aggression here…. In MTT you need to change up your aggression constantly! If you're sitting at a table of passive players… then your aggression should be 10/10… if you're sitting at a table full of maniacs, your aggression needs to be 1/10.

Agression in an MTT needs to change with blind levels and tournament average stack sizes. My aggression also changes at every money bubble jump. Aggression is a very good tool if you know how to use it properly.

And for cash games, these rules also apply.

Old
Mon Mar 24, 2014, 07:19 PM
(#16)
Since: Oct 2011
I agree with Oval and Dirt. The timing of aggression is more important than aggression for aggression's sake.

That said, my natural lack of aggression is something that I think holds me back in tourneys, where fighting for pots is pretty important, so I'm more suited to cashgames, where I can pick my spots more carefully, without worrying about being blinded out if I'm card dead.

I've also found recently that bluff-catching against LAGs in cashgames can have a higher EV than doing the betting yourself. While it's generally true at the micros that you can't expect weak players to build pots for you, so you have to bet yourself, there's a lot of value in checking medium strength hands in order to induce bluffs by aggro players. I've had some pretty good success recently by making hero-calls on the river after taking passive lines that basically say "I'm weak, please push me off this pot". So, dirt's right. You should alter your aggression according to the tendencies of the player(s) you're up against.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Am I a Aggressive Player - Mon Mar 24, 2014, 07:43 PM
(#17)
Since: Mar 2013
BronzeStar
When it comes to being an Aggressive player, I can be that when the game is going my way. However, I notice that when I have had a streak of good runs, I can get too overly aggressive at times and make bad choices. This is when I back off and pay more attention to not only my hands but also how the other players are playing me. Good players adjust quickly to aggressive players.

Old
Mon Mar 24, 2014, 08:11 PM
(#18)
Since: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt eh View Post
I'm amazed that everyone is talking about "their" MTT aggression here…. In MTT you need to change up your aggression constantly! If you're sitting at a table of passive players… then your aggression should be 10/10… if you're sitting at a table full of maniacs, your aggression needs to be 1/10.
I Think those occasions will be very rare when your on a table of just maniacs or only nits, you normally have a mix of playing styles at each table so you will need to adjust your ranges.

Aggression is measured by what betting line you take(bet/raising rather than check/calling), and i dont see why you should play any less aggressive against a maniac as they are more likely to pay you off when you make strong hands. In fact im more likely to take a more aggressive line vs a looser opponent knowing they can stack off with a much wider range than that of there tighter counterparts.

Old
Mon Mar 24, 2014, 10:08 PM
(#19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDonkin View Post
I Think those occasions will be very rare when your on a table of just maniacs or only nits, you normally have a mix of playing styles at each table so you will need to adjust your ranges.

Aggression is measured by what betting line you take(bet/raising rather than check/calling), and i dont see why you should play any less aggressive against a maniac as they are more likely to pay you off when you make strong hands. In fact im more likely to take a more aggressive line vs a looser opponent knowing they can stack off with a much wider range than that of there tighter counterparts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt eh View Post

Agression in an MTT needs to change with blind levels and tournament average stack sizes. My aggression also changes at every money bubble jump. Aggression is a very good tool if you know how to use it properly.

And for cash games, these rules also apply.
Two things you can do at tables...

First: look at the TABLE VPIP and TABLE PFR. This will tell you how tight/passive, loose/passive, tight/ag, loose/ag the TABLE is.

Second: look to isolate weak passive players and 3bet more often in late position vs. tight or even TAGs. In an MTT, players fold to 3bets waaaaaay more often than they do in CASH.

I don't play too many MTTs but I have taken down a few large field MTTs.
Including the 5.50 rebuy, 3.30 rebuy, hot 0.55 turbo and a 32nd place finish in the bigger $11 (19712 players)

http://www.officialpokerrankings.com...ml?t=3&scp=700

Old
Mon Mar 24, 2014, 11:15 PM
(#20)
Since: Apr 2011
Im not sure but id say I'm a 5/10, but depends on format, reads, stack size etc (Changing Gears), some times i can be a Nit(passive/aggressive betting) to Maniac(passive/aggressive betting).
It all depends as i try mix playing styles up ( tight/passive, loose/passive, tight/ag, loose/ag) so its harder too read me specially if im playing players that I know(history with)& im more aggressive when im drunk

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com