Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Interesting read about Poker sites and Russian players

Old
Exclamation
Interesting read about Poker sites and Russian players - Mon Mar 24, 2014, 11:27 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2011
I have just finished reading the same information on several reputable sites, apparently the Russian government is clamping down on more gambling sites and has added a slew of sites to their Roskomnadzor list including Pokerstars.

I'm curious as to how this will affect PS

Has anyone else read this information and have any comments?

Old
Tue Mar 25, 2014, 11:50 AM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2012
Yeah i read that on 2+2 NVG, i hope that they only ban sites exclusively, not online pokers, that would be devastating imo.
But knowing russians very well and also having number of russian friends, i would say that even if they ban pokers there, russians will anyway find a way to play it, thats their mentality, and also in Eastearn Europe generally we often do not care much about these kind of laws etc.

Old
Tue Mar 25, 2014, 12:05 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
This will make a mark for sure, just as black Friday did when the USA left, it will not be the same size of a hit but the online poker world will feel it.

The Russian market is a big one and the fastest growing one in online poker.

A few things to watch for imo, as they may or may not happen but keep an eye out;

Will we see some of the guarantees get lowered?

Will we see some overlays?

To think this will not have an effect on the overall online poker map would be the same as not seeing that straight that just hit the river and took your stack when you shoved your 2 pair

Thanks for being part of PSO, and Best of Luck at the Tables

Brian

Super-Moderator

7 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Mar 25, 2014, 12:11 PM
(#4)
Since: Apr 2012
Also i dont know if it would influence microstakes very bad, i mean you can find a ton of russian grinders who play 10/8 20 tables of 2NL for 4$ dollar hour and it is not bad wage for them. We will have more brazilian fish then

Old
Tue Mar 25, 2014, 01:17 PM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2011
I don't know the story behind this, I've only seen this thread and a few other tweets but just looking at the Micro Millions Stats Page, the Russians make up by far the most entrants. I also play on a site based in Russia (?maybe it's offshore?) but the majority of that is Russian players. If the player base goes then the promotions will stop and ultimately the site will close down.

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com