Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Limped in, got 15 outs, is it right to call an ALL IN?

Old
Angry
Limped in, got 15 outs, is it right to call an ALL IN? - Tue Mar 25, 2014, 12:07 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2014
9 players, i was on BB with 89 suited, someone after me (not very late position) raised to about 3x or 4x BB, i limped in.

[on the flop],
i got a outside straight and flush draw:
community cards are [10,J,low-card] or [6,7,J], whatever looked dry.

i bet 3xBB, then he re-raised to over 60xBB and was ALL IN,
any other opponents folded,
i called. (i thought he might have a big pair or a set at most)

[turn & river]
i didn't get my outs

[showdown]
he showed his KK, and won the pot.

anyhow,,, Did do the right thing?

Old
Tue Mar 25, 2014, 08:34 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
the determining factor is the pot equity vs hand equity on the flop.

pot equity = number of chips I need to call divided by the size of the pot after my chips would go into it

hand equity = number of outs times (4% or 2% from the rule of 4 and 2)... here for an OESD (8 outs) and being all-in, it would be 4% per out since I'm guaranteed to see both streets, so my hand is worth 32%

If the pot equity is less than 32% then I call. If not, I need to fold.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Mar 25, 2014, 10:23 PM
(#3)
Since: Mar 2014
Ok, that is, The flop gave me a OES and Flush draw, 8 + 9 - 2(duplicated) = 15 outs, is that right?

So the hand equity is about 60%, and therefore, i should call the all-in

Thank you very much!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com