Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5nl 6 max - not profitablke in the long run?

Old
5nl 6 max - not profitablke in the long run? - Tue Mar 25, 2014, 11:35 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
So I am sitting there with my modest J9s in the button and #fischigespieler limps in CO, I want to use my position to isolate him cheaply and get to the post flop with him, but SB places a big bet. CO limper runs for the hills and I opt to call. (good price to call or do you favor a fold?). The flop is what dreams are made of and SB bets 50%. I figured if he invested already so much in a pf bet + cbet he prob won't be shy by putting the rest in and I ship, what in his eyes might look like a bluff, and if he's holding Ac, Kc, Qc or maybe any other c he'll be very tempted to call (in which case I am in bad shape against the overcards as a flush draw, but tiny chance).

Too aggressive? Bad way of thinking? Not a plus EV play in the long run? Should I slowplay the flush and reevaluate? Or just try to extract max value with hands like this?

Time Vault Champion 2013

Old
Tue Mar 25, 2014, 11:48 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2013
You iso-bet is way too low !!. make it like 20, 25

SB's bet is huge but he is seeing basically 2 limps in front and may just wants to iso one of them and wants to start building a big pot. Or it's a total bluff...

Dreamflop indeed. I like your shove. If you raise, you would be potcommitted anyway so shove is good, imo. It does look a little bluffy, that's deffo one of the reasons

Old
Tue Mar 25, 2014, 12:09 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Hmmmm, for starters. Why aren't we full stacked here? No offense but you're a bit of a #fischigespieler yourself by not being full stacked... Just joking!

Here's what I would do preflop. Raise the limper to a minimum of 0.15, you could opt for 0.20 or 0.25. When the SB makes it 0.50... this screams to me that he has TT-JJ, AK type hands. Maybe QQ, KK, AA.

JJ-TT,AKs,AKo (we have 34.45% equity)
TT+,AKs,AKo (we have 28% equity)

So calling his raise here isn't going to be good. Maybe if we were both 100bb effectively then this might be a call but it's pretty thin.

AS PLAYED...
OTF: Shove is pretty much our only option on this wet of a board and with the stack sizes that are in play.

Last edited by dirt eh; Tue Mar 25, 2014 at 01:20 PM..

Old
Tue Mar 25, 2014, 01:06 PM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2013
I forgot to mention... i would fold to his 3bet, always..

Old
Tue Mar 25, 2014, 01:15 PM
(#5)
Since: May 2012
you're not going to isolate anybody by min betting in a limped pot. If I was raising here I would make it .20 or .25 to go and fold to 3 bets. if you're going to min raise you can save some chips by just calling and taking a flop, you can even over limp call a 2 bet in pos. with a suited and connected hand like this.

post flop I think the 2 bet shove is ok, I would have over limped called a bet and played it in pos. post flop.

Last edited by FireMedic815; Tue Mar 25, 2014 at 01:18 PM..

Old
Tue Mar 25, 2014, 03:23 PM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2010
Make sure you're playing a full stack, especially when you have a #fischigespieler on your right, you want to take advantage of this situation as much as possible! If you haven't got the bankroll to auto top-up, you shouldn't be playing at that limit.

I like your idea of iso-raising against the #fischigespieler, but your sizing is a bad way of trying to accomplish this. A typical raise size would be your normal opening size + 1BB for the limper, but in order to try and discourage the blinds of entering, you can even go slightly bigger, something like $0.20 -$0.25 looks decent.

Facing such a large 3Bet, you aren't getting anywhere near the implied odds to call with your suited one-gapper, the effective stack is only 7x the size of the raise - the normal recommendation for a hand like this is that you need the effective stack to be about 20x the size of the bet to make a profitable call.

I like your flop shove, villain's not going to fold any of his overpairs or hands Ac/Kc in them and if he doesn't have any of those foldings, he wouldn't put any more money in the pot after the flop if you just called anyway.

Old
Tue Mar 25, 2014, 03:57 PM
(#7)
Since: Dec 2011
Thank you Andy,

And thank you guys for all the comments. I was wondering how lousy this hand was played, on a scale from whale to shark I guess I am getting the pf whale prize and flop play shark award. thanks for clarifying. All agreed and noted.

Time Vault Champion 2013

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com