Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Taking a break from poker

Old
Taking a break from poker - Tue Mar 25, 2014, 01:53 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2014
Do you guys ever take breaks from poker? I've hit a stage where literally every hand i play is tainted. I've busted my entire bankroll watching my KK lose to TT and AK losing to K9 all week so i've decided to take a break for a week or so before i give pokerstars my entire student loan

Do you think a week is long enough?

thanks for the advice.

Old
Tue Mar 25, 2014, 02:00 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2012
I often takes breaks from Poker, using the self-exclusion tool, ranging from a day to a week most of the time.

I'm assuming, and hoping, that you are joking about using your student loan.

I think a week is long enough for me most of the time when I really need a break. Just assess how you feel when the week is up, if you still think you will approach the tables with less than an ideal mind, dont play again. Take it day by day.

Old
Tue Mar 25, 2014, 06:55 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTrey815 View Post
I've hit a stage where literally every hand i play is tainted. I've busted my entire bankroll watching my KK lose to TT and AK losing to K9 all week so i've decided to take a break for a week or so before i give pokerstars my entire student loan .
Do not bust your bankroll; manage it instead. Spend some of your poker time to research and develop a bankroll plan. Play games where you are +ROI over a larger sample size. "Plan the work, then work the plan." I've had 30 beats in a row, then later looked at the graph to find out that they came in the middle of a much larger heater. Variance makes it mathematically possible (although extremely unlikely) that you may never win another hand of poker in your life!

As for taking time off - Its always good to have more than one hobby. That way when you do have a bad stretch, it should not affect the overall quality of your life. The poker will still be there when you get back, whether its later today, or next week. I have taken months off at a time. No big deal.

Old
Tue Mar 25, 2014, 08:43 PM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2010
Student loans are definitely the best way to finance a poker downswing.

Very competitive interest rates and you don't have to start paying them back until you earn a decent wage.

They are also a good way to finance studies.

Now if only there was an accredited PokerUniversityOnline site as well as just a school...

UCAS - I am applying for a loan...

Ed

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Mar 25, 2014, 10:41 PM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2011
I'm on a break right now, even though I was winning. Preventing burnout (which leads to a loss of motivation) or the build-up of tilt is pretty crucial to me.
Just about every time I take a week off, in which I spend more time studying the game, I come back with greater motivation, and I usually play much better too, so I thoroughly recommend it.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Mar 27, 2014, 05:13 PM
(#6)
Since: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTrey815 View Post
Do you guys ever take breaks from poker? I've hit a stage where literally every hand i play is tainted. I've busted my entire bankroll watching my KK lose to TT and AK losing to K9 all week so i've decided to take a break for a week or so before i give pokerstars my entire student loan

Do you think a week is long enough?

thanks for the advice.
Absolutely, you can not play poker all day every day it will exhaust you.

Sounds like you might be a bit tilted when your big hands lose, you have to shake those off they happen and you may be playing differently after experiencing those and costing yourself even more money. As somebody already stated bankroll management is a good way to combat tilt because the swings don't put so much stress on you if you have a roll big enough to handle the swings.

If you are like a lot of us here, you have another source of income, so you can use a 40 buy in management in the cash games or more. Start small and build your roll. If you can't beat the 2nl games you have no chance in the higher stakes. Once you move up be sure to move back down if you drop under whatever buy in minimum you have set.

If you play mtts you will probably want more buy ins maybe 100-200 buy ins for mtts. Somebody who plays a lot of mtts can probably better help you here.

Everybody reaches a point when they start to tire and as a result their play drops off, I think this is different for everybody. I personally play shorter sessions maybe 2 to 2 1/2 hours then I stop and do something else.

Last but not least is that poker is like a lot of things in life. The more you put into it the more you get out of it. Read books, Attend classes and probably most importantly review your own play honestly and objectively and you will improve by leaps and bounds and start to see a return on your investment.

I hope some of this helps you and gl and have fun at the tables.

Last edited by FireMedic815; Thu Mar 27, 2014 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: spelling

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com