Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Pokerstars changed the minimum buy-in MTT - and I like it

Old
Pokerstars changed the minimum buy-in MTT - and I like it - Tue Mar 25, 2014, 06:05 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2010
I have been a bit of an old grump recently (say for the last twenty years or so) and when I saw they had changed one of my 'not quite freeroll' MTT practice games I was prepared to not like it.

They were previously $0.10 $50 added MTTs and ran three times a day, a couple at suitable times for me.

Now they have changed to $0.11 MTTs with a guarantee rather than the $50 added.

So both the inflation to the cost and the change from added money to guaranteed prize pools concerned me.

Now I have played a couple and I think they have made a good change.

The games are still turbos with 5 minute blind levels and the same blind increase structure as before as far as I can tell, but a major change is that they have doubled the starting stack from 1500 chips to 3000.

The games are attracting larger fields, and although the payout structure means a min-cash barely gets your money back, (min-cash in last one was $0.10) they have very good opportunity to multiply your investment when you get past min-cash zone into the top 10% and deeper.

The deeper starting stack is the clincher though, as these are essentially a training game for MTTs and now give much greater opportunities in the early stages to try some deeper stacked play.

Definitely recommend these for new players wanting to try some MTT games, although, as with Freerolls and the $0.10 Turbo 360 sitngos there are lots of maniacs to deal with.

The one I played today had a 5K+ field and $74 for first - so I suspect they will quickly become huge field tourneys. They are capped at 13,500 at the moment so room for growth.

I think it is a good change - if I was to suggest any further changes I would look slightly at the payout structure, but mainly I would add a few more in during the day - I am sure they would be popular if they ran 6 or 12 a day.

Ed

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Apr 25, 2014, 08:21 PM
(#2)
Since: Mar 2012
After they changed the buy in to include a registration fee i was the opposite as you from the perspective of i'm starting my br from scratch so these tournaments are my level at the moment. Now with the reg fee i get fpp's to boot.

They have introduced more tournaments as the solitary 25cent game now has 3 or 4 others throughout the game and there's a new 75cent game too.

For you these are training grounds but for the micro's among us these are better tournaments all round as there is more availability, fpp's to be gained and an apparent increase in popularity which means bigger prize pools on offer.

This has been an excellent change for the micro player and i for one welcome it.

As with you my only problem is with the prize structure. I can't help but feel deflated after sitting for an hour and a half or so, busting out on a coinflip to find my prize is less than my entry fee. That said though it's great to see stars have listened to the poorer members and made more available for them.

I have raised the issue with the payout structure with pokerstars and hopefully this slight flaw will be ironed out and things will improve

Old
Mon Apr 28, 2014, 05:33 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by thephoenix11 View Post
After they changed the buy in to include a registration fee i was the opposite as you from the perspective of i'm starting my br from scratch so these tournaments are my level at the moment. Now with the reg fee i get fpp's to boot.

They have introduced more tournaments as the solitary 25cent game now has 3 or 4 others throughout the game and there's a new 75cent game too.

For you these are training grounds but for the micro's among us these are better tournaments all round as there is more availability, fpp's to be gained and an apparent increase in popularity which means bigger prize pools on offer.

This has been an excellent change for the micro player and i for one welcome it.

As with you my only problem is with the prize structure. I can't help but feel deflated after sitting for an hour and a half or so, busting out on a coinflip to find my prize is less than my entry fee. That said though it's great to see stars have listened to the poorer members and made more available for them.

I have raised the issue with the payout structure with pokerstars and hopefully this slight flaw will be ironed out and things will improve

From the sideline here in the States I would say that I'm with Ed on the change in the .10's to .11's...it's an improvement.

On the .25 to .27's I agree with you...I liked the old structure better as the payouts on the bottom levels were a bit better under the old system,plus the blind structure was nice. It was the one nano-stakes MTT they had that wasn't a turbo-ized pushfest.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com