Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

NL5 6max Zoom - AQs bluff catching w/ one pair on four diamonds board

Old
Question
NL5 6max Zoom - AQs bluff catching w/ one pair on four diamonds board - Thu Mar 27, 2014, 10:11 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2013
PokerStars Zoom No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (6 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

Button ($6.67)
SB ($5.20)
BB ($4.78)
UTG ($5)
Hero (MP) ($10.18)
CO ($4.20)

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q, A
1 fold, Hero raises to $0.15, 1 fold, Button calls $0.15, 1 fold, BB raises to $0.65, Hero calls $0.50, Button calls $0.50

Flop: ($1.97) A, 8, 6 (3 players)
BB checks, Hero checks, Button bets $1, 1 fold, Hero calls $1

Turn: ($3.97) 2 (2 players)
Hero checks, Button bets $1.50, Hero calls $1.50

River: ($6.97) 9 (2 players)
Hero checks, Button bets $3.52 (All-In), Hero calls $3.52

Total pot: $14.01 | Rake: $0.58

This hand is from NL5 6max Zoom.
No stats about this villain on BU.
Only one read: He was playing on one table at that moment.

BB stats
VPIP: 25
PFR: 12
AGG: 1.2
HANDS: 147
3Betting only flom BB 4.8(21)
Squeeze: 10(10)

Preflop: I decided to call a squeeze with my AQs and BU called.

OTF: BB and I checked and BU decided to bet, BB folded and I called here. BU can bet here with a lot of Ax hands, sets, 2 pairs, some suited diamonds and bluffs, thats why I did not raise.

OTT: 2 is a blank if he has no suited diamons in his hand. And its a good card to bet here for him if he wants to represent a flush or protect his made hand like set, 2 pairs.

OTR: He snap shoved here after I checked. I was thinking that he most likely would check here with his Ax, 2 pairs or with set instead of turning them into a bluff. I did not see a lot of diamonds here, because A is already on the board, there are not so many combos with one diamond in his hand and sometimes I would expect him checking with low one diamond hand on the river. So I came to the conclusion here that he is bluffing with a complete air and I made a call with expectation sometimes to lose.

What do think about this hand and my play? Is it ok to bluff catch in this spot?

Old
Thu Mar 27, 2014, 10:50 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2012
Fold. We are going to have a lot better hands in our range to bluff catch here. QdQx, JdJx as an example.

You'll get shown AxKd here quite often.

Old
Thu Mar 27, 2014, 11:03 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
This is a VERY HIGH VARIANCE PLAY. Personally I would have folded but I like your reasoning. It is very important to step through the hand in order to try to figure out what this villain has or is representing and if it makes sense. The problem here is that I can a TON of Kx of diamonds in his/her range. or QJ of diamonds. Lets just say BIG diamonds are in their range.

Here's what I would do in this hand: I would 4b this hand preflop. I don't like behind sandwiched between the aggressor and the BTN with a big suited ACE in a 3bet pot, I would have clicked it back to $1.10 preflop. And then proceeded from there with the flop or folding to a 5bet.

Old
Thu Mar 27, 2014, 11:05 AM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdayy View Post
Fold. We are going to have a lot better hands in our range to bluff catch here. QdQx, JdJx as an example.

birdayy... BTN didn't squeeze. BB squeezed. But I agree that the villain has BIG diamonds in their CC BTN range.

Old
Thu Mar 27, 2014, 03:09 PM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdayy View Post

Oh I forgot to mention I was thinking that most of the time people 3bet with AK hand and we will not often see just calling with AK. So I had in my mind that there are only two combos with AxKd and due to his preflop line I excluded that hands from his range. I mean not excluded, but it is just less likely that he will have that hand.

Last edited by ImStylo; Thu Mar 27, 2014 at 03:22 PM..

Old
Thu Mar 27, 2014, 11:55 PM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2012
Oh I misread the hand.

I'd still fold though.

Old
Fri Mar 28, 2014, 11:11 AM
(#7)
(Head Trainer)
I agree with birdayy here, this is not a good hand to bluff catch (we have much stronger hands in our range for this) and the villain doesn't have too many bluffs in his range anyway, especially if we think he's checking down worse aces.

Quote:
Oh I forgot to mention I was thinking that most of the time people 3bet with AK hand and we will not often see just calling with AK. So I had in my mind that there are only two combos with AxKd and due to his preflop line I excluded that hands from his range. I mean not excluded, but it is just less likely that he will have that hand.
Let's not forget there are other Kd in his range though. KdQd/KdJd for instance. JdJx/TdTx are also there, and given our line those should feel confident they're good.

Quote:
I was thinking that he most likely would check here with his Ax, 2 pairs or with set instead of turning them into a bluff.
It's important to note that we don't beat 2 pair+, only the worse aces and random air bluffs, yet again it's hard to see him getting to the river with random air too frequently here. This is the difference between bluff catching this weak a hand vs. doing so with AA or TdTx... we beat his entire bluff range + thin value non-diamond range (like small sets).

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by TheLangolier; Fri Mar 28, 2014 at 11:13 AM..

Old
Fri Mar 28, 2014, 08:53 PM
(#8)
Since: Oct 2011
It would be great to be able to put villain on "total air" and make a hero-call with one pair here, but when was the last time you saw someone squeeze pre-flop and then fire 3 barrels on a 4-flush ace-high board with total air?
I can't really picture any hands that take this line, since it would be total spew to do this with something like 2 black jacks, or KsJs, primarily because villain has to worry you have the nuts yourself. If you want to bluff-catch, you have to think of some combos that actually make sense as bluffing candidates. If you can't name several of them, don't be a hero with one pair.

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com