Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Ratholing

Old
Ratholing - Thu Mar 27, 2014, 03:42 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2014
I just read a post on the subject of ratholing. I have never heard this term and would appreciate someone breaking it down for me. Thanks

Old
Thu Mar 27, 2014, 03:49 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2012
Generally, it is when you buy into a table short, double up and then leave the table with the doubled up stack. Often buying into another table short so they don't have to play deep.

There's some mathematics to it but short stacks can hold an advantage against deeper stacks based solely on their buy-in level.

This, I guess, is why stars moved to limit systematic ratholing.

Old
RE: Ratholing - Thu Mar 27, 2014, 03:56 PM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2014
I quess I still don´t get it. I always thought sitting down and doubling up was what you want to do.

Old
Thu Mar 27, 2014, 04:19 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by billnmex View Post
I quess I still don´t get it. I always thought sitting down and doubling up was what you want to do.
It is.

Its when you buy-in with a stack that is less than the 'normal' buy-in that the term ratholing comes into it. When you do it with a 100bb stack it tends to be called a 'hit and run'.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com