Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

How bad can you run?

Old
How bad can you run? - Thu Mar 27, 2014, 10:09 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2012
I am here to whine, i admit that, but also to ask have you had these bad runs and for how long they can go?

Today was the best session ever. 1619 hands, ~5 buy-ins below EV, villains catching 2 outers three times and runner flush vs set etc.
HEM2 shows Net Won(at 2NL) -7.06$, but $USD EV +4,80. Avg all-in equity 71%, Pre-flop 70,4, Flop 68,3, Avg Turn all-in equity 87,5.

I do understand that if i were to play million hands vs these shove monkeys at 2NL, i could buy holiday trip to New Zealand if i run based on these numbers, because "long term matters yadda yadda yadda" but right now i am going straight to Bustoville.

I am 15 BI below EV for last 21k hands, but im sure this downswing started earlier, i had to reinstall PC so HEM data is only for March.
How bad can you run?

Old
Thu Mar 27, 2014, 10:22 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Two years ago... I had a run like that last over 4 months... and know plenty of people that have had them last longer. It's a part of the game (there's a reason it's called a grind).

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Favourite Tweet This Month - Fri Mar 28, 2014, 12:45 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
"What's the best way to make a quick $1.4m back? Asking for a friend."

-Phil Galfond March 18th

Are you worried that you may never be a winning player? Or was winning, but can't win now? Phil Galfond jokes about the big losses (see quote above), but says the slow bleeds are much more demoralizing. Here is a starting catalogue of PSO videos and articles on dealing with run-bad and tilt.

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/library?search=Tilt

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...ting-Go-Part-1

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...ting-Go-Part-2

Good luck, and better decisions.

Old
Fri Mar 28, 2014, 01:51 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2012
Variance has no memory so these can go on a while, it doesn't care if you just lost to a 1 or 2 outer, and can happily serve it up again and again.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com