Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2nl 6-max A9s - shove without purpose

Old
2nl 6-max A9s - shove without purpose - Fri Mar 28, 2014, 01:46 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2012
Hi all.

What do you think of this shove on the turn?

From the villians perspective it looks like a boat (nines full of sixes). But I don't like the shove for the following reasons:

1. Our Hero isn't shoving for value. All worse Hands will fold. He needs at least a note on the villian, that suggests the villian gets married to aces, the villian is the master of all calling-stations or the villian thinks our Hero is bluff-shoving way too much, for this to be a value shove.
2. Our Hero is hardly shoving as a bluff. He is only targeting flushes. If we discount his invested $5.33 by his 13.64% equity on the turn against flushes, we get $4.61 he is risking in the mean, to win $0.60. Therefore he must fold out 8 flushes out of 9 to meet his poted odds. I don't think this is the case. And there are two combos of boats and a single quad out there - it doesn't get cheaper that way.
3. Our Hero is hardly shoving for protection. If the villian would hold a single spade, there would only be a 19,15% chance that he make his flush on the river. If it is for protection, then it is oversized a lot.
4. Our villian is calling the massive raise of the Hero on the flop. A recreational player might call with AK/AQ/A6, but against a regular our Hero should know he ties or is beaten on the turn, as only the 4 combos of A9, flushes, boats and quads are left in villians range.

1-4: I think this shove is like burning money.

Old
Fri Mar 28, 2014, 02:48 PM
(#2)
Since: May 2012
I don't like it at all.

I don't mind the call in pos. with a suited ace, he could 3 bet here too but the call is fine.

I like the 2 bet on the flop, I would have followed it up with a normal bet on the turn, leaning toward a fold if we get 2 bet vs an unknown. and re evaluated river if it gets there.

by shoving he should really only get worse two pair type hands to fold and we want to keep those in.

In 2nl I think any 6 is calling all flushes are calling and maybe we get value by some aces that don't want to fold, but don't need to risk that much to get value from worse 2 pair hands.

Last edited by FireMedic815; Fri Mar 28, 2014 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old
Sat Mar 29, 2014, 01:45 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2011
(Live Trainer)
I agree, this shove on the turn does not accomplish anything from a theoretical standpoint and in practice it probably won't even work as a bluff at these stakes as people will never laydown flushes here. I could sometimes see calls from hands like A at these levels but that's about it when it comes to value.

Live Trainer

Old
Sat Mar 29, 2014, 06:38 AM
(#4)
Since: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSO-xflixx View Post
I agree, this shove on the turn does not accomplish anything from a theoretical standpoint and in practice it probably won't even work as a bluff at these stakes as people will never laydown flushes here. I could sometimes see calls from hands like A at these levels but that's about it when it comes to value.
Finally somebody agrees with my #fischigespeiler comments in here

I never really posted too many comments here before because I thought I may be out of line and thought that it was for the hand analyzers to comment. I am glad that they told me it was ok to leave comments here. I think I am learning a lot of different ways to think of the hands just by having people suggest different lines than I would take in different situations.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com