Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2nlz Top pair vs strange line

Old
2nlz Top pair vs strange line - Sat Mar 29, 2014, 02:33 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012

unknowns
just now in the replayer I noticed he limp/reraised
when I saw the diamond river I had a feeling that he may pull off some bad bluff and shove, but still, I have shown strength throughout the hand im not sure he's bluffing
limp/reraises should be strong usually AA/QQ comes to mind. Is there anything else in his range other overpairs+ ?
What if he squeezed to that sizing instead of limp/reraising? Does that change much for the river decision?

Old
Sat Mar 29, 2014, 05:52 AM
(#2)
Since: May 2012
I struggle with these spots. I am looking forward to what others say about this. To me his line really makes no sense, if he had a big hand wouldn't he want to bet bigger on the flop with two hearts out there? Then when he check calls turn and bombs river really the only hands that make any sense is if he backed into a flush ( unlikely imo ) or he took that line with TT or QT. I would have a hard time giving him A5 here. I think the rest of his range is busted heart draws and bluffs.

I tend to pay off against these types of strange lines, I am working on finding more folds ( not easy to do ) I don't think I am losing too much but I could be winning more by folding to big river bets like this.

Old
Sat Mar 29, 2014, 12:38 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi pray,

I think the fold is fine here, there's enough reasonable value hands he can be doing this with... QT, KQ/QJ/Q9dd, A5hh, 56hh, even TT isn't out of the question, since our flop raise and turn bet sizings were small (half the pot).

The limp/reraise min-bet isn't likely to be very strong imo, AA/KK (KK didn't come to mind?) probably open raises or limp/rr larger pre, and also puts more $ in on the flop than just a min-bet .02c and calling a raise of only half the pot.

It's possible we're getting bluffed sometimes here on the river, but I don't think often enough to feel like we're being exploited by folding to the shove.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com