Old
nl10, zoom. straight on paired board - Sat Mar 29, 2014, 09:26 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2013

zoom
no hud
villain plays 4 tables. looks like a reg

Preflop:
Called the 3bet with a lot of odds from the BB.

Flop:
paired board, good flop hitting an OESD.

Turn:
Lead the betting when I hit my straight. got called by villain who 3bet preflop.

River:
Bet big to maximize value against set and overpairs.

Villain reraises me all in. I may have been committed for a call. Could I have played the hand differently?

Old
Sat Mar 29, 2014, 11:04 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2012
I think given we bombed river and he's coming over the top, we should fold.

Old
Sun Mar 30, 2014, 06:49 AM
(#3)
Since: May 2012
Playing 4 tables I would expect him to be opening a tighter range, but trying to isolate a limper with 88 would probably be a play he would make. I would probably give him all the over pairs and 88.

Birday has a valid point. I know what I would do, but I also think what I would do is one of my leaks.

I tend to pay off in spots like these, its hard to say if he bets a flopped full house there or not, I would think he would bet for value with so many players in the pot somebody is likely to call.

I would call here, I don't know if that is the right play or not.

Old
Sun Mar 30, 2014, 06:55 AM
(#4)
Since: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdayy View Post
I think given we bombed river and he's coming over the top, we should fold.
you may very well be right here. I am trying to find more folds in my game, because I think it is one of my leaks.

I think I may be playing worse now that I am trying to change my game and plug those leaks. I really need to find the balance of when to call and when to fold. I know in training the other day I said I would fold the nut flush draw on the flop, in game I would never do that. I think that comment is a result of me trying to change my game.

Old
Sun Mar 30, 2014, 07:02 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2012
I think it's a fold. We're splitting at best unless we have any reason to believe this is a bluff.

It's an annoying one though.

Old
Sun Mar 30, 2014, 07:14 AM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2010
Hi kalahwang,

This does look pretty strong to me. Given stack size and preflop isolation raise sizing, I would agree that this guy knows what they are doing. Decent call preflop imo with a SC and good odds on our call. I'm not sure if an argument can be made for donking into 4 opponents, but I think I would x/c there too most of the time. OTT, I would bet 1.5$ but I'm trying to figure out what hands can call us here that checked flop? the 6 in particular does not change too much. I'm discounting medium to high PPs from V5's range since I expect them to bet those almost 100% of the time OTF. What they might not bet are hands like 66-22, and high cards. Same goes for V6, when they check back the flop they seem to have hands like broadways and Ax type hands? So our turn bet seems to be a value bet from the SB and initial limper; we are looking for calls from hands like J9, 55, A6, A8s, A7, 98. And to be honest, I'm not sure I see too many hands that we can get two streets of value from since 87 and 76 make a fullhouse but clearly betting turn is better than checking and giving away a free card to 4 opponents. So yea, probably betting smaller would work better in our favor so I kinda take back the 1.5$ and bet half pot instead. At this point when villain checks the flop, call the turn, and raises river I think there are just a few hands that make sense. Hands that would check back flop for a slow play with 77, 88. Hands that would check back flop maybe 66 or 55(in which case they decide to turn into a bluff OTR); nothing else makes sense to me as I can't see them floating turn with air with two opponents left to act behind them. We need to be good atleast 23.4% of the time to make the call and against 88-55 we have.... what?! wait!, 46% equity?! They only need to bluff with 3 combos to make our call profitable. But I'm not sure we allow them to bluff with that big river sizing. I think a better way to play this hand is by altering our bet sizings by betting 1/2 pot OTT and 2$ OTR.

Old
Sun Mar 30, 2014, 11:43 AM
(#7)
Since: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoVARTA View Post
Hi kalahwang,

This does look pretty strong to me. Given stack size and preflop isolation raise sizing, I would agree that this guy knows what they are doing. Decent call preflop imo with a SC and good odds on our call. I'm not sure if an argument can be made for donking into 4 opponents, but I think I would x/c there too most of the time. OTT, I would bet 1.5$ but I'm trying to figure out what hands can call us here that checked flop? the 6 in particular does not change too much. I'm discounting medium to high PPs from V5's range since I expect them to bet those almost 100% of the time OTF. What they might not bet are hands like 66-22, and high cards. Same goes for V6, when they check back the flop they seem to have hands like broadways and Ax type hands? So our turn bet seems to be a value bet from the SB and initial limper; we are looking for calls from hands like J9, 55, A6, A8s, A7, 98. And to be honest, I'm not sure I see too many hands that we can get two streets of value from since 87 and 76 make a fullhouse but clearly betting turn is better than checking and giving away a free card to 4 opponents. So yea, probably betting smaller would work better in our favor so I kinda take back the 1.5$ and bet half pot instead. At this point when villain checks the flop, call the turn, and raises river I think there are just a few hands that make sense. Hands that would check back flop for a slow play with 77, 88. Hands that would check back flop maybe 66 or 55(in which case they decide to turn into a bluff OTR); nothing else makes sense to me as I can't see them floating turn with air with two opponents left to act behind them. We need to be good atleast 23.4% of the time to make the call and against 88-55 we have.... what?! wait!, 46% equity?! They only need to bluff with 3 combos to make our call profitable. But I'm not sure we allow them to bluff with that big river sizing. I think a better way to play this hand is by altering our bet sizings by betting 1/2 pot OTT and 2$ OTR.

Thanks Geo. Very good read. Villain indeed has 66, and I had to pay him off to see that hand.

more practice on hand reading for me. Thanks for the input from the other guys as well.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com