Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Was this a good fold for the type of tournament?

Old
Was this a good fold for the type of tournament? - Sun Mar 30, 2014, 11:25 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2011

This hand is from an open skill league late-stage tournament. There were approximately 450 runners left out of 7275. The calling villain had chip stack on me, and the few times he showed down previously he had pretty good hands, even though they didn't always win.

His betting left me with the idea that he had decent hole cards. After the flop, I figured that he didn't have Q9, but felt confidant that he had at least a Q. When he went over the top after the turn, I guessed he had AQ. For a skill-league tournament, should I have gone all in, knowing that he would call (it was only an extra 1200 or so) just to be sure?

I also was very near the 2000 rank bubble for the month at the time.

Old
Mon Mar 31, 2014, 12:48 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi gaerfeld!

The league games, especially the open games have a strategy unto themselves. In them, I cannot take chances and need to play much tighter. From UTG, the only hands that have a K or J in them that I can make a standard opening raise (which for this blind level is to 2.5BB+1BB for each limper) are KK, AK, JJ. That's it. All the others are too weak to be playing in this type of format, where the one and only thing that maters is to outlast other players for more league points. Due to this, I need to muck this preflop.

If I did see the flop (which I would not), when it folds to me, I need to make a standard value bet. Bets postflop need to be sized based on the size of the pot, number of opps and board texture. With 2 opps in the hand, I need to bet 2/3 pot (4160 chips). I cannot bet less than this or I can be giving the opps the correct odds to try to outdraw me.

The turn gives me 2 pair and once again, I need to make a standard value bet. With only one opp now in the hand, a standard value bet is 1/2 pot, so I will bet 6120.

The opp now raises me and since this is a league game and I can definitely be beat here, I need to fold. The key is that the opp could be doing this based on the bet sizes, as they don't tell a consistent pattern. A larger than std raise preflop says strength, a smaller bet than normal on the flop says weakness, then a huge bet on the turn says strength again (and can easily be a bluff). When making bets, I need them to be consistent and standard, so that the opps can't get a tell for what my cards are. Players that bet more with better hands and less with marginal ones are basically turning their cards face-up.... something that I need to avoid.

The biggest key though, is to muck marginal hands when out of position preflop.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Mar 31, 2014, 01:06 AM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2011
Thank you for the information. I ended up finishing 15th in that tournament. Which is the first time I ever ended up with a payment.

Here is another hand from later on in the tournament. Again, is it one I should have played, and if so, should I have played it differently?

The villain who called my re-raise was one who quite often folded to any of my raises, and the initial raiser was one who seemed to call anything pre-flop, and the few time he showed down, did not have very good hole cards pre-flop.

This hand set up my exit from the tournament. I was out 3 hands later by the same villain who called my re-raise. After the hand I was left super-short stacked.

Old
Mon Mar 31, 2014, 09:39 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi gaerfeld!

In the future, please try to keep it to 1 hand per thread, so that the discussions can stay on topic.

In this hand, with 2 limps in front of me, I'm going to raise to 3X the previous bet (48k). The reason that I don't want to raise to the top end of my range is that by raising to 80k, this is very close to making me pot-committed.. something that I don't want to do with a very marginal hand.

I then get a call and a shove. With a marginal unmade hand, this is an easy fold for me (regardless of whether it's a league game or not). With the real possibility of being in a 3-way pot, I need to have a made hand to continue and would want JJ+ to call, as I even with a hand like JJ or TT, I can be facing 4 overcards, which dramatically lowers the % that I'll win the hand. IMO, even AK is marginal here, as I'm probably up against at least one pair and the other can easily be counterfeiting my outs.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com