Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Two pair highest card decisive

Old
Two pair highest card decisive - Mon Mar 31, 2014, 04:49 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2014
Hello,

I have been going through the lessons for the beginners and stumbled upon a statement that if two players have two pair than the highest card is decisive. So suppose as in lesson you have two pair, aces and threes and the other player has two pair, kings and queens, then the former wins for the sole reason that his highest card is higher than his opponent's, so in such a case the second pair i.e. the double threes and double queens is completely ignored?

Old
Mon Mar 31, 2014, 05:46 PM
(#2)
Since: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Nazariy View Post
Hello,

I have been going through the lessons for the beginners and stumbled upon a statement that if two players have two pair than the highest card is decisive. So suppose as in lesson you have two pair, aces and threes and the other player has two pair, kings and queens, then the former wins for the sole reason that his highest card is higher than his opponent's, so in such a case the second pair i.e. the double threes and double queens is completely ignored?
in the example that you gave Aces and threes vs Kings and Queens. The Aces and Threes would win because AA is higher than KK. If you both had the same top pair in your two pair hands for example if you held Aces and fives and your opponent held aces and twos you would win because your fives are higher than his twos.

I haven't read the statement but I am guessing this is the scenario they are talking about. Lets say neither of you paired your hole cards and the board was 66772 and you held and Ace in your hand and your opponent held a King in his hand you would win because you would have the best 5 card hand with 6677A and your opponent would have 6677K.

Here is a link for hand rankings http://www.pokerstars.com/poker/game...hand-rankings/

Last edited by FireMedic815; Mon Mar 31, 2014 at 05:48 PM..

Old
Tue Apr 01, 2014, 05:30 AM
(#3)
Since: Mar 2014
Got it, thanks.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com