Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Support Center /

Players are invited to try PokerStars 7 Alpha

Old
Players are invited to try PokerStars 7 Alpha - Tue Apr 01, 2014, 10:22 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
(PokerStars Representative)

PokerStars 7 Alpha software is now available to any Windows user who has a PokerStars.com account and would like to join our Alpha testing program.

What is PokerStars 7?

PokerStars 7 is our newest desktop poker client (we’ll be referring to the current software players are using today as PokerStars 6). If you’d like an overview of the features of PokerStars 7, please visit our website at http://www.pokerstars.com/pokerstars7. (Username: alphatester, Password: ps7alpha)

What does Alpha mean?

PS7 Alpha is fully functional and supports both real money and play money poker, but it is pre-beta, meaning that it is still undergoing user testing with frequent product updates as minor issues are being resolved and the UI is being refined. We’ve been in an internal Alpha stage for many months and have slowly invited more players to test the client and the new features/fixes that are appearing each week. At this point, all the major features are in and we are ready to allow more players access in order to receive more feedback.

Can I use the PokerStars 7 Alpha software?

Yes, as long as you have a PokerStars.COM account on a Windows PC. PokerStars 7 is not yet available for Mac OS or for .NET or any other extension besides .COM. The instructions for installing the Alpha are listed at the end of this post.

How can I see what’s new?

First, please visit the PokerStars 7 website for an overview of new features (Username: alphatester, Password: ps7alpha). Next, we encourage everyone to join the private ‘PokerStars 7’ forum on 2+2. The product team for PokerStars 7 is actively participating in the PS7 forum so we can quickly act on any issues or suggestions reported by Alpha players, answer questions, keep everyone informed of changes, and post release notes for each product update. You can join the forum following these steps:

1) Go to the Group Memberships page on 2+2.

2) Look for PS7 in the list of groups available for you to join, select the radio button on the far right and click ‘Join Group’.
Within 24 hours your request to join the group will be accepted (but typically within an hour or so).

Installation Instructions

IMPORTANT: Please be aware that the PokerStars 7 Alpha software is a separate installation from the currently available PokerStars 6 client. By default, it will be installing into a folder separate from your existing PokerStars 6 folder, but it will attempt to use your existing notes and settings where possible so you aren’t starting from scratch with PS7.

Download Alpha 7 From Here

After installation, you will see a new PokerStars 7 icon on your desktop. When you want play on PokerStars 7, click on the new PS7 icon. When you want to play on PokerStars 6, you will need to close PokerStars 7 and click on the PokerStars icon (red spade) that you have been using up till now. Note that you cannot be logged in to both clients at the same time.

Does PokerStars 7 work with 3rd party software?

As we don’t test our client against 3rd party software before releasing it, we cannot comment on the compatibility of any 3rd party software used with PokerStars 7. We suggest checking with the 3rd party software provider.

PokerStars Representative

Last edited by PokerStars Stefan; Tue Apr 01, 2014 at 01:38 PM..

Old
Tue Apr 01, 2014, 12:57 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerStars Stefan View Post

IMPORTANT: Please be aware that the PokerStars 7 Alpha software is a separate installation from the currently available PokerStars 6 client. By default, it will be installing into a folder separate from your existing PokerStars 6 folder, but it will attempt to use your existing notes and settings where possible so you aren’t starting from scratch with PS7.

Was all set to wait until much later in the testing process to give PS7 a try - until I opened this thread and saw the cute doggie playing poker ... and now I'm thinking maybe this could be fun!

With the way decisions get made in my head, not sure why I still wonder about some of the recommendations amazon.ca has been making to me via e-mail, boy ...

Anyways ... Stefan, if PS7 uses the notes from PS6, does that mean that the reverse is true? Like if we make new notes on PS7, will they be accessible from PS6? Like if I give it a try, and then decide to go back to PS6 in a couple of days and wait after all?

Old
Tue Apr 01, 2014, 01:21 PM
(#3)
BronzeStar
Oh Stefan, never mind - I changed my mind again

Thanks anyways

Old
Tue Apr 01, 2014, 05:24 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar
Okay, think I've gotten over the 'look at the new bright, shiny object' response ... onto the substance

From 2+2 (PokerStars 7: The All-New Desktop Client):

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluffingX View Post
Some nice new features:

Chip Graph - tracks chip count of player(s) at all stages of an MTT and shows result on graph, allowing you to see how they accumulated their chips.

Dim Inactive Players - after a player(s) has folded their name/image are dimmed, allowing you to better see which players remain in the current hand.

Guess the changes are more than just cosmetic? Seems like those features might be nice to have if you're a tourney player? Anybody here at PSO given them a try?

And I like the filter they added to the Zoom section

Unfortunately, both the Zoom filter and the Cash Game filter only have 'min' filters, and not 'max' filters - that means it's impossible to isolate just one stake - me no likee the change

Gonna read through the rest of the thread over at 2+2 to see what other difference people have found between the two - anyone else noticed anything interesting/different?

Old
Tue Apr 01, 2014, 06:04 PM
(#5)
Since: Mar 2013
I like PS7, never used the old one again...

I advise everyone to give it a go..

cheers

Old
Tue Apr 01, 2014, 06:56 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustySam View Post
Anybody here at PSO given them a try?
I've been using it for almost 2 months and I WON'T go back to 6
Like anything new, you need to give it time
Like anything new, you'll always have cry babies who don't like changes
There's changes going on every second day following comments by testers and the feedback from the PS team is extremely fast
There's still a few bugs, but nothing to prevent you from enjoying the new PS7

PS. Even when you have PS7, there's a button to revert to PS6

Old
Tue Apr 01, 2014, 07:41 PM
(#7)
I prefer not telling too much, I think its more fun if you, 'guys' and 'girls', find out by yourselves..

I think some will say they don't like, and ask why are they changing.. some may even hate it. lol

I know the 1st time I tried it, I thought all they did was a makeover, and I was a bit concerned with some changes, however once I started playing a few games and exploring the new software, I was more than satisfied with it, So give it a good few days of trial..

There are a couple of noticeable changes, as seen on the picture..

I'd point out favorites as one of the coolest, perfect for regs, there you can filter all the games you usually play, you can even put them into folders and activate, deactivate any given folder, allowing you to select only the games you really want, for example, I have mine divided by buy-in folders..
One other thing I really like is in fact the chip graph, not that it makes a real difference, but its just awesome..

So have fun you all..

If there's anything I can do to help, let me know..

cheers

Old
Tue Apr 01, 2014, 07:49 PM
(#8)
BronzeStar

Quote:
Unfortunately, both the Zoom filter and the Cash Game filter only have 'min' filters, and not 'max' filters - that means it's impossible to isolate just one stake - me no likee the change
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ndmaster View Post
I'd point out favorites as one of the coolest, perfect for regs, there you can filter all the games you usually play, ..
The 'Favorites' feature seemed to do the trick After clicking on the little star next to 'Klinkenburg', was able to get just the table I wanted to show, so everything looks the way I like it - the retractable filters are a nice feature

Really glad to year you both like it, and haven't had any problems - now that I've got the tables showing the way I like, the only reason to not give PS7 a try would be if people are still finding it buggy and stuff.

Guess there's always a bit of an adjustment period when it comes to anything new - so if there's a chance to get over the hump earlier rather than later, sometimes it's nice to be able to do it before the big rush of people, so ... will give it a chance

Thanks for both sharing your thoughts - it helped a lot!!

Old
Tue Apr 01, 2014, 07:53 PM
(#9)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Anyways ... Stefan, if PS7 uses the notes from PS6, does that mean that the reverse is true? Like if we make new notes on PS7, will they be accessible from PS6? Like if I give it a try, and then decide to go back to PS6 in a couple of days and wait after all?
PS7 is using the same file for my notes as my PS6, so it looks like you can go back and forth, in case anyone was wondering

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluffingX View Post
Some nice new features:

Dim Inactive Players - after a player(s) has folded their name/image are dimmed, allowing you to better see which players remain in the current hand.

And it looks like this happens at the cash tables too - doesn't make a ton of difference for me, since I only 2-table 6-max But for people who multi-table, especially with full-ring, this seems like it might help avoid missing limpers and stuff?

Gonna go read the 2+2 thread now, and sign up for the PS7 Group thingie ...

Old
Tue Apr 01, 2014, 07:59 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Quote:
you can even put them into folders and activate, deactivate any given folder, allowing you to select only the games you really want, for example, I have mine divided by buy-in folders..
Will have to give this a try Saw the little icon after setting up my table, but was a little scared to touch anything in case it messed everything up

Old
Tue Apr 01, 2014, 08:31 PM
(#11)
BronzeStar
Not really a tourney player, but the chip graph sounded so neat ... thought it might be cool to play a Sunday Storm satty to give it a try.

So I went to go open check out the selection of satties, and ... some of the lobbies are sure different!

Old
Tue Apr 01, 2014, 09:02 PM
(#12)
Since: Jun 2010
Sam, it was asked in 2+2 if we could post images
They suggested that we don't as things might change
Just saying

Old
Tue Apr 01, 2014, 09:18 PM
(#13)
Quote:
Will have to give this a try Saw the little icon after setting up my table, but was a little scared to touch anything in case it messed everything up
there's no need for fear.. so what are your thoughts so far?

[/QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap777 View Post
Sam, it was asked in 2+2 if we could post images
They suggested that we don't as things might change
Just saying

Hi Sandtrap,

I think we can discard that here on this forum, since they opened it for everyone..

Old
Tue Apr 01, 2014, 09:21 PM
(#14)
BronzeStar
Was that while PS7 was still in closed testing? Like was PS trying to avoid people asking lots of question who didn't have access to PS7?

I'm not posting anything that isn't available to anyone who uses .com ... guess PS7 isn't available to people who use .eu though?

Stefan, is it okay for us to share pics of PS7? Or would you like me to remove the one I already put up?

Old
Tue Apr 01, 2014, 09:25 PM
(#15)
BronzeStar
Quote:
there's no need for fear.. so what are your thoughts so far?

It's pretty cool Could see it being especially great for people who play lots of different games, as a thing to help stay nice and organized.

Or like, if there's something special coming up I might forget about - maybe this might be a way to put a little 'stickie' on it, as a reminder?

Kind of neat to have a little space to put stuff

Last edited by TrustySam; Tue Apr 01, 2014 at 09:30 PM..

Old
Tue Apr 01, 2014, 09:28 PM
(#16)
BronzeStar
Oh, and that 'chip graph' was pretty cool!! Ya, wasn't super useful or anything, but it was pretty funny to compare the graphs of the player with the VPIP/PFR of like 74/2 (graph started off great, then fizzled out) to the one of the TAG (graph started out flat, then kept building)

Last edited by TrustySam; Wed Apr 02, 2014 at 08:08 AM..

Old
Tue Apr 01, 2014, 09:46 PM
(#17)
Quote:
It's pretty cool Could see it being especially great for people who play lots of different games, as a thing to help stay nice and organized.

Or like, if there's something special coming up I might forget about - maybe this might be a way to put a little 'stickie' on it, as a reminder?

Kind of neat to have a little space to put stuff
yes, I've done something like that, with some freeroll's for instance, and regional tourneys..

I've taking a look at the lobby, I really don't play much cash and when I do its only zoom and use favorites, but there's an option there to change/set custom stake ranges, on both zoom and cash.. which allows you to set min max..

hope it helps..

Old
Tue Apr 01, 2014, 09:48 PM
(#18)
BronzeStar
Ya, I wasn't able to find those earlier - will have to have a closer look around

Am sure there's lots of people who'll be wondering the same stuff as me, so your tips help a lot - thanks!!

Old
Tue Apr 01, 2014, 09:56 PM
(#19)
Quote:
Oh, and that chip was pretty cool!! Ya, wasn't super useful or anything, but it was pretty funny to compare the graphs of the player with the VPIP/PFR of like 74/2 (graph started off great, then fizzled out) to the one of the TAG (graph started out flat, then kept building)
Indeed..
I find my self using it to see my position regarding average stack..
not sure if its a good thing..

Old
Tue Apr 01, 2014, 10:02 PM
(#20)
Quote:
Ya, I wasn't able to find those earlier - will have to have a closer look around

Am sure there's lots of people who'll be wondering the same stuff as me, so your tips help a lot - thanks!!
thanks, its no problem.. I'm happy to help..
if you want just pm or something..
I'm going off now..

take care and GL out there..

regards

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com