Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Software & Videos & Literature /

does HM2 make old computers run slow?

Old
does HM2 make old computers run slow? - Thu Apr 03, 2014, 09:17 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
title says it all really

so if it does is my best choice pokertracker ?

thank you

Old
Thu Apr 03, 2014, 10:04 PM
(#2)
Since: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo834 View Post
title says it all really

so if it does is my best choice pokertracker ?

thank you
I think old computers make old computers run slow. I am not trying to be a smart you know what, I just think that if hm2 is lagging your computer just about any program will.

What is the issue is it importing a large database?

I really believe both products are pretty comparable and it is a personal choice, if you are having trouble running one or the other I believe the problem may be on your end.

if you are trying to import a huge data base you might be better off importing small portions at a time.

I hope this helps

Old
Thu Apr 03, 2014, 10:21 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2010
My spectrum zx80 seems to be coping - well - its still faster than I am...

Ed

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Apr 04, 2014, 04:38 AM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2011
HEM is pretty power hungry and I upgraded my PC a year ago because of it. RAM and hard drive read/ write speed can also slow it down so they might be a stop gap upgrade for you in the mean time.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Apr 04, 2014, 10:46 AM
(#5)
BronzeStar
I felt like installing HM2 on my old Windows XP desktop did make it run slightly slower. I think it indirectly was taking more ram because you have to install some SQL server stuff. Even when not using HM2 there is still some SQL stuff going on in the background. I actually just upgraded from 2gb to 4gb of ram, but when I tried running HM2 for the first time in months it just locks up on me. So I don't really know for sure if memory was the issue, but I suspect it was.

As for PT4 that ran terribly on my computer and was unusable for me. I would suggest doing the free trial and see how it goes. It runs on the same type of SQL server stuff so it could cause the same problems as well...

Old
Fri Apr 04, 2014, 10:13 PM
(#6)
Since: Apr 2012
*Moved to more appropriate forum* - Fadyen

I don't really have any experience with HM2 but have discussed the pros and cons of it and PT4 and from what I know HM2 is a bit more of a resource hog. That's not to say on an old computer PT4 would run smoothly but I believe it would be the better option if RAM and Hard drive speed isn't great on your comp.

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Apr 05, 2014, 09:26 AM
(#7)
Since: Oct 2011
HEM2 doesn't make old computers run slowly. Old computers make HEM2 run slowly.

Last year, I basically had to rebuild my PC with a new motherboard, processor and hard drive to get HEM2 to work. If your PC is more than about 18 months old, it will have great trouble with HEM2. Pokertracker is much more resource-efficient.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Apr 05, 2014, 07:34 PM
(#8)
ty everyone

I actually have 2 identical computer sam emodel and make ..well 1 has a bit more RAm but that is th eonly difference

on myold computer i di duse thetrial and my old computer then ran veryvery poorly

So i gues sonly option is pokertracker yet maybe it was my comp...but ididnt think so

bythe way just so im clear both computers run everythign esle pretty smoothly its just HM i ha d aproblem with

So let me now ask is HM2 more efficient than HM1 please ?

Thanks

ps lol@zx spectrum if olyyou knew that I know someone who still has 1 hahhaa..doub the ever see this though as he doesnt play poker

Old
Sun Apr 06, 2014, 07:52 AM
(#9)
Since: Oct 2011
HM1 takes much fewer resources than HEM2, but I doubt it's still available for download, or gets updated as often. (So it might not work with new tourney formats etc).

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Apr 06, 2014, 01:07 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
HM1 takes much fewer resources than HEM2, but I doubt it's still available for download, or gets updated as often. (So it might not work with new tourney formats etc).
I finally got HM2 to run again and there is a news link stating that they will be discontinuing support for HM1. If a poker site update breaks it in some way, it will be broke for good.

Old
Sun Apr 06, 2014, 03:07 PM
(#11)
wow ty all as this could save me $$$

all along i thought of getting HM but I will trial both on this puter(has bit more RAm) and whichever runss badly I wont be able to use

Now im hoping 1 of them actually runs at all on my old puters

Im stil learnign the game though so wil stick with my free HUD for now

Once iknow quite a bit more next step will be to get a "proper" HUD

Justso im clear ive never ever trialed pokertracker

Now go tme thinking cos i trialed HM on old puter(the one with the less RAm).....coudl i still trial HM on this puter hmmm...wondering if that be allowed guess i will have to try it to find out

I liek to be very thorough so might trial pokertracker on old puter ...then both if it possible on new

thanks again

oops didnt have much time th eotherday but just seen firemedic asked me a question and nop emy database was tiny

also forgot to mention both of my computers are old....so when i say the new one it not new

Last edited by rolo834; Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 07:01 PM..

Old
Sun Apr 06, 2014, 07:03 PM
(#12)
Since: Aug 2011
Hi ,as you are aware I did PM some info ,BUT think its important to mention NOW that WINDOWS XP support EXPIRES in APRIL 2014 ,so NO more security patches,updates of any upgrades from WINDOWs ! .Also less and less updates and new products from anysoftware (or hardware) supplier will be suitable for a XP computer.
So this is why Ive decided to upgrade my whole setup as just a new operating upgrade is not +EV with an old system like mine (or yours) imo. To really run newer operating systems(OS) you need more than my mega 1gb RAM eg Windows 8 4gb Ram plus is best,2GB ram min if no seperate graphics card onboard.
Another option is going to an opening OS eg Linux , I have no idea how or if they run well with HM2.
So maybe you should consider the ramifications of WindowsXP support ending ,first ?
That said I did run HM2 with my set up (you have specs in PM to compare) and had little problems however I only ever run ONE table and HM2 at one time nothing else so this may have helped.
Regards
brettnz
@LostInPoker

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Hm2 "cloud service" - Sun Apr 06, 2014, 07:18 PM
(#13)
HI ,No one has mentioned the "cloud Serice" on offer with HM 2 .Does anyone use it and does it have any bearing on performance ? I would think it does. Well at least thats what has been suggested however Im not using HM2 anymore I prefer Indicator products for in game stat(but thats besides the point here )
So anyone know if this would help ? "Clouds" are a dark art to me lol
Regards
brettnz

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 07, 2014, 02:25 PM
(#14)
hi Brett

I read PM b4 comign here so thanks fo rthat...but liek i replie din PM im on Vista for both desktop computers

I cant really afford a brand new computer just now recently had to buy a monitor

I played 6 games at same time other day all freerolls and Tournament Indicator and my computer(the 1 with bit more RAm) had no problems whatsoever

However I remember Hm1 trial on my old computer being a nightmare...i sitll have togo back and fix that puter....somehow it locked up my puter

See the videos ive seen on how to use HUD are for HM but if i need to use pokertracker i wont know where to start although hopefully they easy to use now?

rolo

Old
Tue Apr 08, 2014, 04:57 PM
(#15)
Hi Rolo ,Im sorry I dont have any idea about videos for PT4 ,if you are on twitter the best PT4 person to ask is tizzle (think @_tizzle ) but if you check who I follow @LostInPoker you will see him ,he is the ambassador for PT4 ,as for HM2 I just went to their homepage ,Im obv a "Indicator" guy so thats where my true knowledge is,great to see you played 6 tables with no problem ,I dont know where the rumour started that it wouldnt run multi tables.
Best Of Luck Hope you WIN big soon and get to buy the "Dream Grinding Set-Up" you have always wanted lol
Regards
brettnz
@LostInPoker

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Apr 09, 2014, 01:30 PM
(#16)
forgive me but i not being clear

Tournament Indicator runs 6 tabels no problem on my computers

HM1 couldnt run 1 game smoothly wa strial..maybe it was just mycomputer

The other thing now bothering me is even if the full version starts off fasta are you saying once you collected lots of hands computer go slower or co sof cloud thingy it be alright?

Thank You

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com