Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Blind play VS MP Loose Raisers

Old
Blind play VS MP Loose Raisers - Fri Apr 04, 2014, 09:23 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
Hi guys,

Looking for a bit of advice for preflop and post flop action:

Loose guy raises in MP position (wide range), but has a high fold to 3bet, cbet stat is high.
Hero is sitting in the BB with say KJo (or similar type hands).

I am interested in your thoughts on what the best play might be:

hero thinks don't want to 3bet, because if villian calls then hero believe villain will call or re-raise with a stronger range that dominates KJ.

If hero flats, hero will be ahead of villain's perceived range, but hero will be OOP post flop,

Also hero will only usually connect with the flop around 30% of the time, and so when hero calls and misses the flop (flop comes Q52 rainbow), if hero checks to villain and villain fires a cbet IP what should hero do?

I would be interested to know what you guys do.

Is it best to float these guys (because we believe that since they open wide, we can't really give their cbet that much respect)?

Should we 3bet preflop and hope to take it down there and then?

Or just fold the hand?

I find myself, when I call these types of guys while I have a decent hand, I give up when they make their cbet (since I am going to miss more often than not), which surely can't be a good play: calling OOP (probably similar to calling a 3bettor OOP, looking like a huge leak)

Cheers,

Matt

Last edited by pullin1988; Fri Apr 04, 2014 at 09:28 AM..

Old
Fri Apr 04, 2014, 09:33 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
What are the stack sizes?

Depending on the opp, I'm either 3-betting or folding. Flatting is just spewing away chips due to being OOP and if I did flat, I need to be ready to lead basically any flop (whether I hit it or not).

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Apr 04, 2014, 09:50 AM
(#3)
Hi John,

apologies, the stack sizes are 100bb for each (does that change things?). I thought flatting might be spew.

Do you think with low pocket pairs raising is also good, because there are now two ways to win?

Getting a fold, or if villain calls with a very strong range we have the chance to hit a set, and have the best hand?
Cheers,

Matt

Last edited by pullin1988; Fri Apr 04, 2014 at 09:55 AM..

Old
Fri Apr 04, 2014, 09:55 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
deepstacked, I'm much more likely to 3-bet than fold. I'll only call a small % of the time (to balance out my range) but when I do call, I'm leading basically every flop.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Apr 04, 2014, 09:57 AM
(#5)
Cheers John,

That is really helpful.

Matt

Old
Fri Apr 04, 2014, 02:50 PM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2011
I call pre and use superior post-flop skills to.... break even in the long run.

It's quite common for TAGs/LAGs to 3-bet in this spot, but I'm not a fan. You'll still be OOP with a trouble hand that misses the flop most of the time, but now the pot is bloated too. I like playing small pots with trouble hands OOP, not big ones.
3-betting might be good if villain folds to 3-bets often and/or folds to c-bets often, but I'd be pretty worried that he will use position to float you, and cause you to lose much more than if you just called or folded pre.
If you want to 3-bet, then do it with a hand that can flop some equity. A5s (or even T9s) is better than KJo in this regard, as you'll flop more draws that allow you to double barrel.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Apr 04, 2014, 05:57 PM
(#7)
Hi arty,

With your Jedi-like post flop skills, any pointers on how to play out-of-the-blinds with these hands when flat calling when you miss the majority of the time? I understand there are many scenarios to consider. At 5nl, should I literally be looking to flop TPTK+ and strong draws to continue, and pretty much give up - losing the minimum - when I miss?

Cheers,

Matt

Old
Sat Apr 05, 2014, 09:44 AM
(#8)
Since: Oct 2011
Playing pretty much fit-or-fold should be OK, as you'll get one or two streets of value from worse if you hit top pair. Floating OOP with air isn't going to work so well, and I'm not overly keen on donkbetting either, although there are some good textures to try it on, like a T93 rainbow, where you have two overs and a gutshot, on a board where villain usually whiffed.
Generally, I'd just try and play a small pot unless I make two pairs or a straight. The few times you flop top pair and get a street or two of value should be enough to balance out the losses from check-folding when you miss. (If villain opened for 3x, you're only voluntarily committing 2bb to the pot, so it's not a great loss to fold on the flop about 60% of the time).
Like I said, I'm aiming to break even in the long run here. If you don't think you can do that, then just fold pre.

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com