Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Brags, Beats and Variance /

What does a poker player do? t...

Old
What does a poker player do? t... - Sat Apr 05, 2014, 08:49 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2013
SilverStar
I catch Donks making bad shoves, have them dominate (example below,) and yet EVERYTIME I get busted :/ I don't want to hear about bad variance or how I played the hand. The variance the MAJORITY of the time is against me. I can have AA and ill lose to 72. I can have s set on a nice flop but PS will always find away to bust me out... I don't wanna hear that AQ wasn't the best play blah blah blah.... Point is I caught him making a bad move, I had him dominated, and I still lost.

This is just unreal. Makes you feel like no matter how good you play, you're just essentially throwing your bankroll at Pokerstars. It's a joke.

Thanks PS for all the crazy stuff you pull on us players. And I say that in the most sarcastic manner!

Old
Sat Apr 05, 2014, 10:06 AM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2010
I always thought this happend only to me.
I just want to cry the number of times I get it in good with a dominating hand AK vs AQ , AK vs KQ , AQ vs AJ , AQ vs A10 etc etc etc only to come up second best on the river.
They hit their lower card on river or hit trips on the flop to the card they only have 3 outs to. Hit flushes or straights on the river.

The amount of times it happens to me is crazy and really makes feel sick to the pit of my stomach when you see the flop and know that that straight is coming on the river.

Old
Sat Apr 05, 2014, 11:53 AM
(#3)
SilverStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jysteruk View Post
I just want to cry the number of times I get it in good with a dominating hand AK vs AQ , AK vs KQ , AQ vs AJ , AQ vs A10 etc etc etc only to come up second best on the river.
They hit their lower card on river or hit trips on the flop to the card they only have 3 outs to. Hit flushes or straights on the river.

The amount of times it happens to me is crazy and really makes feel sick to the pit of my stomach when you see the flop and know that that straight is coming on the river.

Glad I'm not the only one. I understand variance and all that jazz but the fact is... When you are on the losing end 3.5/4 times man it's pretty bad. I take variation into account. I know I will have my bad runs. I know things in general happen in poker, I get that. But when you are changing it up. Playing solid hands pre flop and post flop and still get riverd no matter what 2 cards your given opponent has. It makes you sick.

I will go out and say this right now... I've probably had my AA and KK's cracked more times than anyone on here in the last year. I'd put money on it.

As a poker player, I know you gotta take variation into account as well as adjust my game accordingly. But when it's all going against you, nothing you do will help. Might as well message Pokerstars and say "Hey, just clear my account and take what I have left in there."

So Sick...

Old
Sat Apr 05, 2014, 12:00 PM
(#4)
SilverStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jysteruk View Post

Glad I'm not the only one. I understand variance and all that jazz but the fact is... When you are on the losing end 3.5/4 times man it's pretty bad. I take variation into account. I know I will have my bad runs. I know things in general happen in poker, I get that. But when you are changing it up. Playing solid hands pre flop and post flop and still get riverd no matter what 2 cards your given opponent has. It makes you sick.

I will go out and say this right now... I've probably had my AA and KK's cracked more times than anyone on here in the last year. I'd put money on it.

As a poker player, I know you gotta take variation into account as well as adjust my game accordingly. But when it's all going against you, nothing you do will help. Might as well message Pokerstars and say "Hey, just clear my account and take what I have left in there."

So Sick...

Old
Sat Apr 05, 2014, 12:20 PM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2012
no way, your AQ got cracked.... this should not be happening... id email support right away.... sometimes there may be a glitch in the rng...

may i suggest... try to keep things post flop... avoid flips, even if u think u are ahead u still are flipping most of the time... the times i keep pots smaller pre, but launch it post when i know i have the villain in bad shape gets me runs more often.... shhhhh this is top secret stuff....

you want your opponents in bad shape not in similar situations

Old
Sat Apr 05, 2014, 12:30 PM
(#6)
SilverStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666bonez187 View Post
no way, your AQ got cracked.... this should not be happening... id email support right away.... sometimes there may be a glitch in the rng...

may i suggest... try to keep things post flop... avoid flips, even if u think u are ahead u still are flipping most of the time... the times i keep pots smaller pre, but launch it post when i know i have the villain in bad shape gets me runs more often.... shhhhh this is top secret stuff....

you want your opponents in bad shape not in similar situations

LOL a little sarcasm in that first line hahaha. I get AQ ain't the best but I caught the guy, had him dominated and again I lose. I was just using that as an example of how things have been going for me. I mean I'm at the point were I gotta sit there and when I know I'm %100 to win my hand after the river lol I'll play. Otherwise, it seems pointless so I gotta let the chips bleed. :/

For the record... I have been doing the post flop thing but no matter how aggressive I get and know my opponents weak, they will call until the river and that last card ALWAYS helps them so It's a lose/lose situation for me most of the time.

Last edited by TommysgotAs; Sat Apr 05, 2014 at 12:33 PM..

Old
Tue Apr 08, 2014, 07:46 AM
(#7)
Since: Mar 2014
i understand where you are coming from we all know just because you have the best hand preflop doesnt mean you should always win, but when you hit the flop and still have the best hand the amount of times you lose on here due to the river is shocking, i dont think i have seen as many flushes or straights hit anywhere else i have played and i have played a lot of different sites

Old
Tue Apr 08, 2014, 07:51 AM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2012
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/28...dition-255990/

2+2 set up a containment thread for this nonsense - feel free to offer your proof of your theories over there.

Old
Tue Apr 08, 2014, 07:57 AM
(#9)
heres a idea why dont we post on the forum we are members of rather than going to another one, just because you tell us too, if you have no real point to add dont reply

Old
Tue Apr 08, 2014, 08:06 AM
(#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkkilla76 View Post
heres a idea why dont we post on the forum we are members of rather than going to another one, just because you tell us too, if you have no real point to add dont reply
I do have a point.

Without explicitly saying anything, statements like:

Quote:
i dont think i have seen as many flushes or straights hit anywhere else i have played and i have played a lot of different sites
Make it sound like you think Pokerstars card distribution is off ie. either rigged or inefficient. Which is nonsense in my ever so humble opinion.

Old
Tue Apr 08, 2014, 09:03 AM
(#11)
Since: Apr 2013
Hi,

Have you been tracking your sessions with pokertracker or HEM. It might all be psychological. Post your stats, etc, and actually look at the evidence to see whether or not your AAs, for example, have been cracked as many times as you seem to perceive it. The facts will tell you the truth, you might be surprised to see that your AAs haven't been cracked as many times as you think - your only dealt AAs 0.45% of the time (over a big sample) so can be very easy to forget, in amongst all the other hands that you have played, what has really happened. I believe a lot of us will remember the downswings more than the up swings. Once you have reviewed, you can they see whether it's psychological, very bad variance, or if there is something very sinister going on. If you haven't been tracking your games, well, I would put it down to it being psychological.

Cheers,

Matt

Old
Tue Apr 08, 2014, 09:15 AM
(#12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoylegend View Post
I do have a point.

Without explicitly saying anything, statements like:

Make it sound like you think Pokerstars card distribution is off ie. either rigged or inefficient. Which is nonsense in my ever so humble opinion.
see now thats better wasnt really that hard. No im not saying its rigged what would be the point in that the site makes money by having lots of players not by making certain players win or lose, all im saying is straight and flushes hit a lot, more than other sites i play on or have played on. Strangely enough most sites have different card generators so we have to learn how each site works and try to adapt.

Old
Tue Apr 08, 2014, 03:06 PM
(#13)
Since: Oct 2011
Quote:
Strangely enough most sites have different card generators so we have to learn how each site works and try to adapt.
They all work in the same randomly-generated way. Over the long run, good players win and bad players lose. There's no "pattern" to discern, and imo you'll drive yourself insane looking for one. Don't be fooled by randomness. Just accept it.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 08, 2014, 03:26 PM
(#14)
I was condescended to by a riggie.

Not sure whether to giggle or be angry.

Old
Tue Apr 08, 2014, 03:29 PM
(#15)
Since: Nov 2012
Its been happening from the beginning of time. You will never feel good about winning your hand until you see the river card. I learned to never get married to AA postflop, KK and QQ deep in tournaments I sometimes just fold cause I know im beat by some donkey with an ace rag or somehow happens to flop 2 pair or trips

I stopped my cash game goals cause it was getting out of hand. Ironically hyper sat sng were a better option afterall cause I just look away to another table when I shove allin to avoid tilt when I see myself getting beat on the famous river

So yeah sometimes you may think theres a doom switch on yourself but it happens to everyone even the elite pros. Theres this guy on youtube who made some hilarious videos showing his badbeat stories, search hes called "Magic612" I nearly fell off my chair laughing

Old
Tue Apr 08, 2014, 06:05 PM
(#16)

Last edited by donkkilla76; Tue Apr 08, 2014 at 06:31 PM..

Old
Fri Apr 18, 2014, 11:38 AM
(#17)
Since: Aug 2013

I hope that link works, i haven't posted many of these.

Okay, so i gotta say i have a lot of sympathy with TommysgotAs; sure, 666bonez, we all KNOW any cards can win any given hand, it's just the FREQUENCY of losing to bad calls from worse hands that starts to grate. The omaha hand above another case in point for me. I mean, really? It's almost like the guy knew he would hit a 3 on the river. The villains's play is totally **deleted inappropriate language JWK24**dumb from the outset, but of course he ends up busting me.

However, i come here with an open mind. Pullin1988 mentions tracking your play. So, having been playing for a while now, and have my bankroll just yoyo up and down like crazy, I've now taken the next step and downloaded the HEM freetrial. People talk about variance etc, but that if you are making *good decision* with your play, then over time you should be benefiting. So i would appreciate if anyone can tell me how do i analyse my plays, for +/- EV, hand equity, all that kinda stuff, using HEM? if you can tell me how/which stats to post, i will do so, and take advice. If i am forever putting my money in when i shouldn't be, i want to know how and where i am going wrong.

I'm playing low stakes, and the recurring pattern i get is that i will buy in just like £10 sterling, i.e. about $16, and i will often build that up to like $90 or $100... and then lose it again in a gradual downswing. Always the same, i seem to build it up, then i just run bad and just lose, lose, lose. Yeah, i will be called a riggie, but the pattern just seems like rake generation to me. I'm no pro, but i think i play decent poker, but i can NEVER win money over time consistently.

Okay, tear me apart at will...

Last edited by JWK24; Fri Apr 18, 2014 at 11:43 AM..

Old
Fri Apr 18, 2014, 11:49 AM
(#18)
Oh yeah, and just before everyone DOES pile in, i know my hand there is not especially great, and that AA in omaha is not 'all that'; the point is what the villain went with and won. Just unbelievable. But this crap happens ALL the time to me, frequently when i have a lot better than just AA, and people are calling me flop or turn with just a couple of outs to hit their hand. Conversely, if i ever try to do the same, say with double flush or open ended straight draws, i never hit and lose to the kings or aces every time. It's like i'm damned if i do, and damned if i don't. Ok i'll shut up now.

Old
Fri Apr 18, 2014, 11:50 AM
(#19)
Sry, JWK24, i did put some asterisks in there like they do in the tabloids, so as hopefully not to offend, haha...

Old
Sat Apr 19, 2014, 03:48 AM
(#20)
Here we go, here's another one.

So why is the eventual winner even calling the big pre-flop re-raise in the first place? Total donkey call. Why is he calling the post-flop shoves? More total donkness. What happens turn and river? His total donkness, against all the odds, gets rewarded and paid.

Okay i know i sound like a stuck record, but the problem i have is that these kinds of hands seem to be the rule rather than the exception. I could just keep posting these hands. And yes, someone will say, oh, you just think they are the rule because they are the ones you remember. Nope. They are the rule because this is what happens all the time and this is why my bankroll just goes up and down like a yoyo.

Okay, in this hand the AA beats me anyway. Again, if i ever have the aces in this situation? The majority of the time the 89TJ caller beats me. If I have the 89TJ, calling the aces? The majority of the time I hit nothing and i lose. I get to feel i can just never even play a hand unless i hit the nuts on the flop. Otherwise it doesn't matter what i have, i know i'm losing.

But my main point here is not the AA hand that beat me. It's the total donk caller who wins the hand. And he was the largest stack to begin with too. Playing like that, HOW? you might wonder. I certainly do.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com