Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Call or Fold

Old
Call or Fold - Sat Apr 05, 2014, 01:16 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2013
Hi all

Didn’t know what to do here. I only had 5 hands on the V so opted for the safe option. I have been having been finding myself in this situation a lot lately on the flop where I Cbet and someone come over the top.

Thanks
Michael

Old
Sun Apr 06, 2014, 06:07 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2012
I think I call the raise on the flop.

He can take this action with worse Aces and some flush/straight draws. He is unknown though so its going to be a difficult to play OOP.

Old
Sun Apr 06, 2014, 07:57 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
I think folding is fine. You have no blockers/backdoors and your kicker isn't great, so if you call you'd be hoping to see the Jd or Js on the turn (2 decent cards, whoop!), and even then you could be crushed by a set. I'd be happier about calling with a flush draw, and I think AK is a call too (especially with Kc), but AQ or worse with no club is a sensible fold.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Apr 06, 2014, 09:35 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
Hi Michae2005,

A good question to ask here is: How does our hand look in villain's eyes?
We are the PFR and bet into two opponents on Ace high when we are first to act; Our hand looks exactly what it is Ax, or a FD. So when the villain raises us they will never raise with a worse Ax. I think they will have 2pair+ and FDs mostly here. Even FDs might just call because it's unlikely for us to fold after we take this action OTF. More importantly I don't see any good turns for us when the villain is likely to bet again. So I like to fold here to a raise without any solid read on our opponent.

Old
Sun Apr 06, 2014, 09:47 AM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoVARTA View Post
So when the villain raises us they will never raise with a worse Ax.
I don't see how we can make such an absolute statement at 2NL.

They should never be raising a worse Ace but 2NL villains frequently make horrible plays that make little or no sense.

Quote:
We are the PFR and bet into two opponents on Ace high when we are first to act; Our hand looks exactly what it is Ax, or a FD.
He never thinks we have pocket pairs TT through KK and that he has just outflopped us?

I mean, I dont think the fold is at all a bad action, I just don't see how we can state so absolutely that a likely bad player is not raising a worse hand.

EDIT: Just to add, I think too often we give likely bad villains too much credit for their actions, but given there will be much better spots a fold is decent here.

Last edited by bhoylegend; Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 09:51 AM..

Old
Sun Apr 06, 2014, 09:53 AM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoylegend View Post
I don't see how we can make such an absolute statement at 2NL.

They should never be raising a worse Ace but 2NL villains frequently make horrible plays that make little or no sense.

He never thinks we have pocket pairs TT through KK and that he has just outflopped us?

I mean, I dont think the fold is at all a bad action, I just don't see how we can state so absolutely that a likely bad player is not raising a worse hand.
Bad players can either be passive and call down too light, or aggressive and raise with weak holdings. There is no information here for us to think they would raise with worse or not raise with worse that is true. But the fact that we are OOP with a hand that is unlikely to improve, do you want to call down and find out?

Old
Sun Apr 06, 2014, 10:18 AM
(#7)
Quote:
do you want to call down and find out?
I've said I am content with a fold, because there will be much better spots, I do think we tend to give bad players too much credit at time for making sensible plays though. Which is why I quibbled with the 'they will never raise with a worse Ax' when I am sure we have all seen that they can and do.

Its a small point.

Old
Wed Apr 09, 2014, 01:17 PM
(#8)
Since: Sep 2013
Thanks for the input guys very interesting points

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com