Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

big$55 - is this a correct laydown?

Old
big$55 - is this a correct laydown? - Sat Apr 05, 2014, 08:32 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...722_A7095811E7

first few hands of the game

pre flop standard raise 3x bb called

post flop opponent donk bets almost a pot size bet

I still feel comfortable with my hand so I reraise 3x his bet he called

turn opponent checked I raise pot size bet so that to let him pay the maximum if he is drawing to anything FD SD or a pr of 6's

RIVER - things turn crazy when suddenly opponents donk shoves all in

if he is BLUFFING here then it was a good play by him

Do you think he is bluffing or he is Value Betting his straight or 66?

and I managed to run deep in this tournament for $200+

Old
Sat Apr 05, 2014, 09:57 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
I think it's a good fold - why risk your tournament life so early when your opponent is telling you he has you beat? If this was a bluff, then good play and you carry on (as you did). Well played IMHO.

PS. I think every time I hero call in this kind of position I hit the rail. Remember, it's only a pair.

Old
Sat Apr 05, 2014, 11:58 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi marvin!

With KK on the button, I'm going to make a standard raise to 3BB or 60 chips.

The board has a pair and the opp makes a larger than normal donkbet into me (standard bet is 1/2 pot). With the board being paired and having an overpair, I like the idea to raise here as this should not only get value for my pair, but give me a much better idea where I'm at in the hand. I will size the bet at 3x the previous bet (360 chips).

The turn should be a blank and the opp now checks to me. I'm going to make a value bet here, but the key is the sizing of it. With one opp in the hand, a standard bet is 1/2 pot, so I will bet 425. I don't want to make a huge bet here as the opp has already called a preflop raise and a flop raise, so they obviously have a hand and I don't want to value-own myself to an opp's 3x or 66.

The river should be a blank and the opp open-shoves. With this line, I'm expecting to see 3x or better the overwhelming majority of the time and due to this, I need to fold the river (if I had to put the opp on a single hand instead of a range, this line is consistent with A3s). Basically the only hands in the opp's range that I'm ahead of are JJ, QQ and a busted flush draw as they may shove an overpair to the board. I wouldn't expect to see a busted flush show up here much though, as they were priced out both on the flop and the turn.

The key though is that I needed to bet 1/2 pot on the turn, which would have saved me an extra 415 chips (an extra 25% to my current stack).

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Apr 06, 2014, 03:08 AM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2013
I agree that the turn sizing was bigger than normal.
I don't see why you should pot-bet there, the only thing it accomplishes is to fold worse hands, which we definitely want to keep at their range.
I am folding river as well, I don't think they are bluffing not even 10% of the times there.

Old
Sun Apr 06, 2014, 04:15 AM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
was so confident with my hand and was so excited that I'm getting so much action that's why I bet pot on the turn

I think 50% is enough on the turn

the greedier I become the more I lose

thank you Coach John for a well rounded analysis

and thank you Gamblingprop and Joy for your inputs as well

appreciate it

so much to learn every time

Old
Sun Apr 06, 2014, 05:39 AM
(#6)
Since: Mar 2014
you was probably right to lay down as the blind was low so was your raise and people call with pretty much anything to just see the flop i had one with ak suited hit top pair with flush shot as well hit flush on turn board was k649 river card 6 he was sitting there with 64.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com