Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Why AA cost me so much money?

Old
Why AA cost me so much money? - Sun Apr 06, 2014, 03:55 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2014
Hi there, I'm new on this forum and to the game, started building my bankroll last month. Been reading / practicing a lot and I've been playing ZOOM NL2 for about 2 weeks now.

Got 27k hands overall and 11.5k hands at ZOOM 2NL. That's just so you can judge my level and reply accordingly. I'm far from being a pro but I enjoy the game and look forward to building my bankroll.

Anyway, I just came went through a pretty rough session, mostly while holding AA. I'd like some feedback on how I played them, should I've played differently? How unlucky am I to run against quad twice in 20min? Any tips / comments (harsh ones, go for it!) much appreciated. Thanks!

ps: no, I'm not expecting to win the pot every time I have AA, I'm just a bit confused by these couple hands for some reason.

First hand:
Quote:
PokerStars - $0.02 NL FAST - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 100 BB
SB: 107.5 BB (VPIP: 26.32, PFR: 15.79, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 19)
BB: 84.5 BB (VPIP: 50.00, PFR: 50.00, 3Bet Preflop: -, Hands: 2)
UTG: 76.5 BB (VPIP: 13.64, PFR: 6.82, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 45)
UTG+1: 100.5 BB
UTG+2: 180.5 BB (VPIP: 9.09, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 12)
MP: 125.5 BB (VPIP: 23.33, PFR: 15.00, 3Bet Preflop: 5.26, Hands: 61)
Hero (MP+1): 203 BB
CO: 56.5 BB (VPIP: 26.32, PFR: 5.56, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 19)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A:heart: A:spade:

fold, UTG+1 raises to 2 BB, fold, fold, Hero raises to 4 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, UTG+1 calls 2 BB

Flop: (9.5 BB, 2 players) 8:heart: 6:club: 6:diamond:
UTG+1 checks, Hero bets 4 BB, UTG+1 calls 4 BB

Turn: (17.5 BB, 2 players) 5:spade:
UTG+1 checks, Hero bets 17 BB, UTG+1 calls 17 BB

River: (51.5 BB, 2 players) K:diamond:
UTG+1 checks, Hero bets 49 BB, UTG+1 raises to 75.5 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 26.5 BB

UTG+1 shows 6:spade: 6:heart: (Four of a Kind, Sixes) (Pre 19%, Flop 100%, Turn 100%)
Hero shows A:heart: A:spade: (Two Pair, Aces and Sixes) (Pre 81%, Flop 0%, Turn 0%)
UTG+1 wins 195.5 BB

2nd hand, didn't pick up any sign of a quad:
Quote:
PokerStars - $0.02 NL FAST - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 38.5 BB (VPIP: 38.89, PFR: 16.67, 3Bet Preflop: 14.29, Hands: 36)
SB: 53.5 BB
BB: 224.5 BB (VPIP: 31.91, PFR: 10.64, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 47)
UTG: 185 BB (VPIP: 9.09, PFR: 9.09, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 11)
UTG+1: 106.5 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 2)
UTG+2: 96.5 BB (VPIP: 13.64, PFR: 13.64, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 22)
Hero (MP): 286.5 BB
MP+1: 115.5 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: -, Hands: 2)
CO: 108 BB (VPIP: 11.11, PFR: 7.41, 3Bet Preflop: 14.29, Hands: 28)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has K:club: A:heart:

UTG raises to 4 BB, fold, fold, Hero calls 4 BB, MP+1 calls 4 BB, fold, fold, SB calls 3.5 BB, fold

Flop: (17 BB, 4 players) 4:club: J:heart: J:club:
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets 5 BB, fold, SB calls 5 BB, UTG calls 5 BB

Turn: (32 BB, 3 players) T:club:
SB bets 5 BB, UTG calls 5 BB, Hero calls 5 BB

River: (47 BB, 3 players) A:diamond:
SB bets 10 BB, UTG raises to 75.5 BB, Hero calls 75.5 BB, SB calls 29.5 BB and is all-in

UTG shows J:spade: J:diamond: (Four of a Kind, Jacks) (Pre 44%, Flop 100%, Turn 100%)
SB mucks K:diamond: Q:spade: (Straight, Ace High) (Pre 21%, Flop 0%, Turn 0%)
Hero mucks K:club: A:heart: (Two Pair, Aces and Jacks) (Pre 35%, Flop 0%, Turn 0%)
UTG wins 229 BB

Old
Sun Apr 06, 2014, 10:34 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi Arosh45,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Here is a link to help familiarize you with all the features and services available at PSO. Feel free to look around the forum and post any of your comments or questions.

You are invited to join the PokerSchoolOnline Community Home Games Club, and information on how to join the club may be found HERE. This month the PSO home games club will be hosting the PSO Madness.

Hope to see you there!

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Apr 06, 2014, 10:48 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Hi Arosh45,

Firstly, welcome to the Forum, great to see you here

Now, let's look at these two hands from your opponents perspective.
  • Both had pocket pairs as starting hands
  • Both had 100 BB stack or more
  • Both got to see a cheap flop
  • One hit trips on the flop
  • One hit quads on the flop

When you look at it from their perspective why on earth would they fold? AA is a great starting hand but it's only one pair after all and can get you into a lot of trouble.

I know it's hard to lay down Aces, but you need to be much more aggressive with your opponents, especially preflop with a hand like AA.

Re-evaluate the strengh of your hand on every street and wet boards that are paired or drawing to a flush or straight can spell danger for you, especially if your opponent comes out betiing strong, he might just have your Aces beat

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by royalraise85; Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 10:50 AM..

Old
Sun Apr 06, 2014, 10:59 AM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Arosh45!

One big key with these two hands are bet sizes.

In the first hand, when the first opp raises to 2BB, I need to make a standard raise, which is to between 3X the previous bet (6BB) and a pot-sized raise (if it's larger). I cannot bet smaller or I can be giving the opp the correct odds to try to outdraw me. If I give them the right odds and they end up winning, it's my own fault that I lose the hand.

The same thing postflop. Against one opp, a standard bet sizing is 1/2 pot, so on the flop and turn, I want to bet 1/2 pot (no more, no less). Players that make non-standard bet sizes are basically turning their cards face-up to an observant opponent.. something that I need to avoid.

On the river, after the opp has called a raise and two bets (flop and turn), I need to check the river as the opp most likely has a 6 or a straight.
-----
In the AK hand, I'm going to 3-bet preflop to 12BB to try to isolate the first player. I don't want to be in a multi-way pot, out of position, with an unmade hand.

On the flop, since I didn't raise preflop (as played), I need to check the flop. If I had raised preflop, then I can make a standard 2/3 pot bet, but not when checking preflop. I need to have all of my bets telling a consistent story throughout the hand.

When the opp leads the turn, since I have absolutely nothing but A high, I need to fold.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Apr 06, 2014, 12:27 PM
(#5)
Since: Apr 2012
I saw your post on 2+2 also, READ strategy posts on how to play actual hands, minraising with value hands preflop means you have no basic knowledge
You are posting and asking someone to answer and let me tell what can answer you - Google. That is how i found 2+2 and useful info in the first place.

Old
Sun Apr 06, 2014, 12:46 PM
(#6)
Since: Mar 2014
other than not betting enough, but i doubt very much that wouldve called em off people dont like folding pps on this site. The second hand im not really sure what you expected you bet the flop with nothing and get called alarm bells shouldve been ringing straight away

Old
Sun Apr 06, 2014, 03:38 PM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalraise85 View Post
Hi Arosh45,

Firstly, welcome to the Forum, great to see you here

Now, let's look at these two hands from your opponents perspective.
  • Both had pocket pairs as starting hands
  • Both had 100 BB stack or more
  • Both got to see a cheap flop
  • One hit trips on the flop
  • One hit quads on the flop

When you look at it from their perspective why on earth would they fold? AA is a great starting hand but it's only one pair after all and can get you into a lot of trouble.

I know it's hard to lay down Aces, but you need to be much more aggressive with your opponents, especially preflop with a hand like AA.

Re-evaluate the strengh of your hand on every street and wet boards that are paired or drawing to a flush or straight can spell danger for you, especially if your opponent comes out betiing strong, he might just have your Aces beat

Raiser
It looks to me like both players flopped Quads, not trips and quads.

Old
Sun Apr 06, 2014, 04:11 PM
(#8)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Curran View Post
It looks to me like both players flopped Quads, not trips and quads.

I stand corrected I'll stand in the corner now Bill,

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com