Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL up and down straight flush draw on flop against all in

Old
2NL up and down straight flush draw on flop against all in - Sun Apr 06, 2014, 05:20 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2011
Hi guys,

Been a while since I posted here, just recently got back into playing poker.

Here is a flop situation I got into, would anyone have taken any different lines here?

I figure his range to be, a set, 2 pair or an overpair. With some crazy hands thrown in, this is the first hand I had played against this player (zoom), so no idea how he plays. With that range it's almost exactly 50/50 equity.

Any other ideas on the range?

Old
Mon Apr 07, 2014, 06:18 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
Hi Craig,

The donklead on this type of flop texture could mean a lot of things. Some players like to lead with a flush draw or some kind of Qx. However probably more common on such a wet flop like this is that the villain has got a strong made hand that he'd like to get all in on the flop before any more scary cards come, which in this case could be 77, 66 or 76. It's extremely unlikely that villain would just call a button open with AA-QQ.

I think the best line for you here would be to utilise your position and just take the great price you're getting to see a cheap turn. The problem with getting it in on the flop is that you're going to be a 45% underdog against his stack-off range, which is bigger flush draws, sets and two-pairs.

Having said that getting it all in on the flop isn't terrible, but I don't like the way you chose to do it. The min-raise isn't going to achieve much, you've got zero fold equity with this sizing and you're also not making it easy to play for stacks on the flop. Imagine you were sat there with QQ, would you minraise with that? I'd make it about $0.24 and then either 4-bet jam or call his all-in shove.

Old
Mon Apr 07, 2014, 05:51 PM
(#3)
I wasn't really going for fold equity with the bet. I had a hand that had a lot of equity and I wanted to build a pot, and also have the initiative for later rounds.

I want any of his his Q hands to call my raise.

Old
Tue Apr 08, 2014, 04:47 AM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig121212 View Post
I wasn't really going for fold equity with the bet.
When you're choosing your actions and sizings, you have to consider what you would do with your entire range of possible hands, not just the specific hand you hold.

The point I was making was that at 2NL, you often see players make a small donk-bet, sometimes a min bet with their weak made hands, like second/third pair or weak top pair. You can often get them off these hands when you're holding a hand that's not made a pair e.g. A-high with the Ac. In this case you'd want to raise bigger to utilise fold equity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig121212 View Post
I had a hand that had a lot of equity and I wanted to build a pot, and also have the initiative for later rounds.
Your actions are fine - but your sizing isn't consistent with this goal!

Your average villain at 2NL doesn't like to fold. Therefore when you've got a strong value hand, the best way to exploit this is to bet big and bet often.

All too often I see many people make the mistake of slowplaying or betting very small to ensure that their opponent doesn't fold, then by the river they decide to overbet and move all-in because they want to get their opponent's entire stack which they failed to get earlier on in the hand.

In short - minraising isn't the best sizing if you're wanting to raise for value, or as a bluff. Raising bigger, say to 3x is much more consistent with both of these goals. Also, keeping your bet sizings and raise sizings consistent will make you much harder to read. While this might not matter too much at 2NL, this will certainly help as you start to face tougher opponents when you move up limits.

Old
Wed Apr 09, 2014, 04:32 PM
(#5)
Oh I understand totally what you mean now. I am just playing the specific hand that I have. Which would be an issue moving up the stakes.

I keep my c-bet sizing consistent based on the board and whether it's wet or dry. But when it comes to c/r or 3bet etc that isn't really the case.

Thanks.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com