Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2nl top set K on flop against multiway all in

Old
2nl top set K on flop against multiway all in - Sun Apr 06, 2014, 07:01 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2011
The title says it all, here's the hand:

thoughts?

EDIT: I just used pokerstove, with those cards I actually have 32% equity, so it was the correct call. Any thoughts on the line I took though?

Last edited by craig121212; Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 07:06 PM..

Old
Mon Apr 07, 2014, 06:37 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
Preflop is fine, although I'd probably go slightly bigger, like $0.18-$0.20. This would be a normal sizing if you were squeezing light as it would leverage a bit more fold equity, so you should also use this sizing when you happen to have a value hand.

Your CBet on the flop is too small on this flop texture and with the pot being multi-way. Against any action I'd like to get all in on the flop, so I'd bet about $0.30 to charge my opponents an incorrect price to call with any draws they might have and makes it easier for them to stack off with lower sets/two pair.

As played I think you should just 3Bet all in after the raise and the call. 3Betting less than all-in pot commits you anyway and you are never going to fold, so there's no point messing around.

Old
Mon Apr 07, 2014, 05:56 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2011
The reason why my 3bet was that size and not the size of a squeeze play is because at 2NL most people don't know what a squeeze play is, they just see a bigger bet and fold. I want to get to the flop with this hand, or even a 4bet to come in.

With my flop cbet I'm actually hoping it looks quite weak and that I'm only cbetting because I 3-bet preflop. Not sure if this is what it look like but what I was going for.

And then the raise instead of shove. I feel that there are weaker players who still think they can make me fold if they shove after that. I'm going all in anyway, so I'd rather let them put the money in. Some players I wouldn't do this, but this player showed that he was reasonably aggressive.

Old
Mon Apr 07, 2014, 06:33 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig121212 View Post
The reason why my 3bet was that size and not the size of a squeeze play is because at 2NL most people don't know what a squeeze play is, they just see a bigger bet and fold.
Not in my experience I have to say, it is true that 2NL villains fold too often when they shouldn't do, but their other great mistake is that they call too much when they shouldn't as well.

3-5c isn't going to make a difference to most 2NL players, and given I have put a lot of volume in at that player pool, and got boat loads of value from them, they will call bigger too.

Raise bigger for immediate value, when they miss the flop and just fold you will have extracted a few extra cents out of it, when they flop TPWK you often take a stack.

Old
Tue Apr 08, 2014, 04:56 AM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2010
Your preflop sizing isn't a big issue, but just something to bear in mind for future. Definitely take on board what bhoylegend said though, you want to extract value at every opportunity, and 2NL villains will give plenty of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig121212 View Post
With my flop cbet I'm actually hoping it looks quite weak and that I'm only cbetting because I 3-bet preflop. Not sure if this is what it look like but what I was going for.
I understand your motive. If the flop was something like , then there's so few hands that the villains can possibly continue with that I'd CBet quite small to try and look weak and keep them in the pot or encourage them to bluff-raise with some random air.

However this flop texture has likely hit one or both of the villains pretty hard with many draws and worse made hands that they might want to continue with. Therefore you should bet bigger to charge the villains an incorrect price to hit their draws.

Furthermore, if one of them is sat there with TT, 99 or T9 and are choosing to slowplay, it would be a disaster for you if a club came on the turn and you got no more action from those hands, which is why it's important to build a big pot right away on a flop texture that can bring a lot of scary turns and rivers.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com