Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

The Hotter $.55NL, Pocket 88, flop has an ace, do I bet?

Old
The Hotter $.55NL, Pocket 88, flop has an ace, do I bet? - Mon Apr 07, 2014, 09:38 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2012
SilverStar

Have a few questions on this one, as Im not confident at all in the way I played it.

1.- Pre flop raise size?
a)If i make it 3 big blinds, Im giving the villains about 1.9:1 on their money. Given that its late stages of the tourney, bigger stacks could be calling with any pair, broadway cards suited and not, A5s+ and even some mid suited connector (in late position and maybe another caller).

b)Pot sized bet will commit me to the pot and I dont want to face a tough decision on the flop.

c) All in.

d) Fold and wait for a better spot.

2.- Cbet. Is it right or wrong here?

Usually I would but I think Ax is definitely in villains range and quite honestly I got a bit gun-shy and was feeling the pressure of late stage tournaments.

3.- After villain bet the flop, the only play is to fold. Correct?

Please let me know how my range reading is, as well as my thought process.

Old
Mon Apr 07, 2014, 02:01 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2011
Hi Sle4zy_E,

I love the hot 55c, I would be in either shove/fold mode here, we have an effective stack of 5.2bb and there is enough in the middle to warrant an open shove and putting the pressure on the table.

glgl

Last edited by chillipops; Mon Apr 07, 2014 at 02:13 PM..

Old
Mon Apr 07, 2014, 02:44 PM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillipops View Post
Hi Sle4zy_E,

I love the hot 55c, I would be in either shove/fold mode here, we have an effective stack of 5.2bb and there is enough in the middle to warrant an open shove and putting the pressure on the table.

glgl
I agree with Chilli - although I assume you mean an M number of ~5, he's got about 13BB.

88 is a strong hand to move all in with - you will be a favourite most of the time when you are called and you exercise a decent amount of fold equity against the bigger stacks, and you do not mind getting all in with the shorter stacks.

The problem with min-opening with a hand like 88 from EP is the one that happened in this hand. On most flops, you are going to completely whiff and you will be stuck as to what to do.

As played I think check-folding is very reasonable. The alternative is to fire off a 1/3 pot CBet which would still leave you with a stack size of about 9BB that you can play with. However like you say, the opponent is likely fairly Ax heavy so the line you took is fine.

Old
Mon Apr 07, 2014, 03:43 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2012
SilverStar
Thanks for the input guys.

I ended up 53 place out of a field of 10k+.

I never really did get going... basically I was in survival mode 80% of the tourney.

I managed to make some chips after the bubble and held on for a while.

Looking back, I was my own worst enemy once we got in the money.
I just couldnt shift gears, played like a nit, felt the pressure and basically gave into it.

Even my girl, whom i taught the very basics of the game called me a nit. LOL

Gotta work on my late tourney game for sure.

Old
Mon Apr 07, 2014, 04:48 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by spand42 View Post
I agree with Chilli - although I assume you mean an M number of ~5, he's got about 13BB.

88 is a strong hand to move all in with - you will be a favourite most of the time when you are called and you exercise a decent amount of fold equity against the bigger stacks, and you do not mind getting all in with the shorter stacks.

The problem with min-opening with a hand like 88 from EP is the one that happened in this hand. On most flops, you are going to completely whiff and you will be stuck as to what to do.

As played I think check-folding is very reasonable. The alternative is to fire off a 1/3 pot CBet which would still leave you with a stack size of about 9BB that you can play with. However like you say, the opponent is likely fairly Ax heavy so the line you took is fine.

Hiya,

Yes it was the M ratio I was using spand42 I had done the math on my calculator and written the result correctly but the term wrong tyty.

When we get in deep in a tournament we have a few things going for us here.

we are first into the pot ! we have a good enough stack to make a considerable hole in the table leaders so will need a hand to call with our shove would also take the shorter stacks out so again they have to wake up with a hand to call with even if they do call with the top 10% we are only a slight dog.

also 53rd in a 10k player tourney is awesome wp man !

chilli.

Last edited by chillipops; Mon Apr 07, 2014 at 04:51 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com