Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5NL 6-max Zoom - lost with 99 in SB

Old
5NL 6-max Zoom - lost with 99 in SB - Mon Apr 07, 2014, 09:54 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2012
Villains unknown but quickly apparent OR clear fish.

I just honestly didn't know what to do here. I kept levelling myself between BU trying to attack the fish or actually being strong. Decided he was being way too aggressive to be bluffing but I think I could have gotten away earlier. Advice on line and what villains bets mean (especially odd sizings I thought) appreciated.

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 07, 2014, 01:00 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Preflop looks ok. OTF I would just check fold. No reason to XC on this flop with our hand after there has been a bet and a raise. We are also OOP, so floating vs. 2 opponents is going to be hard in this spot.

I would expect MP to have air or a small pair and the player on the BTN to have Kx.

Old
Mon Apr 07, 2014, 01:14 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2012
The hand is just going to be awkward to play here. FWIW, I think we were behind on the flop (Possibly pre too) and agree with dirt eh that we can just fold. It feels nitty but at the same time there will just be so many more clear opportunities to get value when we are sure we have the best hand or are at least very likely to.

Its awkward with the micro stack in the hand.

Old
Mon Apr 07, 2014, 02:54 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi guys,

I agree with folding on the flop to this action. The times that we're behind and drawing to 2 outs (or dead), or are a small dog to 2 overs+nfd greatly outweigh the times we're ahead. And when ahead, we are both vulnerable and can't take much heat, meaning we are not likely to get this hand to showdown anyway. And we don't even close the action here. Abandon ship.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 07, 2014, 03:03 PM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2011
I'd fold flop even if it goes bet-call, let alone bet-raise. Generally speaking, you should only be seeing a turn card with an underpair if you're heads up. I'd fold QQ/JJ in this spot, especially without a flush blocker/backdoor in hand.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 08, 2014, 05:17 PM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fadyen View Post
I kept levelling myself between BU trying to attack the fish or actually being strong.

Hey, Fadyen - still remember that call you made with the 55 at the FT of the 2013 Tournament of Champions to win Player of the Year (Looks like they still haven't given you your Championship Banner yet! Where is it? ) ... such a sick call!!

Can see why you would think that about the button - like maybe a big hand like AA or KK might have raised $0.28 pre-flop, rather than the min that the villain did here? And then post-flop, he only mini-reraised to $0.35 when the pot was $0.65 ... although the pot was multi-way, so ... yeah, hard to read on the flop ...

Seems like you've got great instincts - along with Dave's tips, hopefully the variance'll start improving for you soon

Last edited by TrustySam; Tue Apr 08, 2014 at 05:19 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com