Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

10FPP NL MTT, My Pocket Jacks get three bet.

Old
10FPP NL MTT, My Pocket Jacks get three bet. - Mon Apr 07, 2014, 01:10 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2012
SilverStar
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 0 Tournament, 15/30 Blinds (9 handed)

MP3 (t1,620)
CO (t945)
Button (t2,005)
SB (t7,230)
BB (t2,790)
Hero (UTG) (t1,420)
UTG+1 (t1,435)
MP1 (t1,470)
MP2 (t1,500)

Hero's M: 31.56

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J, J
Hero raises to t90, UTG+1 calls t90, 1 fold, MP2 raises to t150, 4 folds, BB calls t120,

Its early in the tournament, the table is loose.

Should I call the raise?
4 bet 3 times the 3bet?
Go all in?

Old
Mon Apr 07, 2014, 02:20 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2012
I think this early in the tournament, for the price (I don't think we need to worry too much that UTG+1 is going to raise and can be reasonably certain that he will call), we can just call here. No need to go nuts without the nuts. It's effectively a set-mine as we are going to be OOP and very unsure of our holding even if there is an all low card flop.

If we hit our set, perfect, if not, just assess the action behind and make your decision from there. I'll give up quite easily on most boards though.

<Not a tournament player>

Old
Mon Apr 07, 2014, 02:30 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
I would just call. We're only investing 4% of our stack here to make this call. I would be 4-betting KK and AA only here and flatting with 44-QQ as well as AKs and AKo.

PostF: proceed with caution!

Old
Mon Apr 07, 2014, 04:07 PM
(#4)
SilverStar

I ended up going all in for the following reasons:

1.- I was not worried about UTG+1 and thought the BB called merely for the pot odds with basically any two cards (plus he had more chips then any of us).

2.- MP made a very small 3 bet, which in my mind almost completely negates QQ+ (he would want to thin the board) or AKs, AK, AQs (he wasnt getting much value from that bet). So basically I thought he had either low/bad broadway or a smaller pocket pair played very poorly.

It turns out my reads were good (Im not usually this accurate).

However, I'm not sure if it was correct tourney strategy.

Is my play here right or wrong? Is the risk worth it?

Last edited by Sle4zy_E; Mon Apr 07, 2014 at 04:10 PM..

Old
Tue Apr 08, 2014, 06:22 PM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi Sle4zy_E

Firstly I'd like to say that I love your reasoning for going all in. It shows that you're thinking outside the box which is a tool you need as a poker player.

For me it's a toss up between calling or shoving. If we have seen player 9 make these small 3bets before with mediocre hands then I would shove all in here every time because there is already 500 chips in the pot to be won and we have a ton of fold equity and if we get called we're not often going to be in bad shape.

On the flip side if this is the first time that player 9 has made this tiny 3bet then I would take a more cautious approach and call rather than shove.

As this is a 10 FPP MTT I expect the play to be very loose and very bad so with your hand, in this particular tournament, I too would shove all in.

Good reasoning, nice hand! Chris.

Old
Tue Apr 08, 2014, 06:43 PM
(#6)
SilverStar
thanks chris

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com