Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10NL 6max - Open TT utg and 4bet is this light? Check Q high flop...

Old
10NL 6max - Open TT utg and 4bet is this light? Check Q high flop... - Tue Apr 08, 2014, 12:11 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2011
This HA title was a note to get the boom link. Didn't look in the lobby to see how many tables the villain was playing but double stacked.

So during the hand on a Q high flop - I thought representing "what could I have?" 4bet pre in position on the turn.

This maybe is a bad delayed cbet potential but now hit a Td on the turn for a set and can represent the back door AQdd.

The worst part of my game is on the river. SO is there any point me betting the river?

As the best I can bluff is a hand that beats me?

Old
Tue Apr 08, 2014, 02:57 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi ForrestFive!

I don't think this is a good spot to be 4b preflop against an unknown. You are utg which indicates a strong range. V2 is rarely going to be 3b light here. If he is 3b for value we can narrow his range to something like AQ+ and JJ+. I prefer calling in position rather than risk 4b-folding. A read on the villain would really help once he calls your 4b oop. Most players would 5b with AA and KK, so it seems more likely the villain has AQs, AK, JJ or QQ or air. With so many potential overcards on the flop and all squarly in the villain's range, this situation can quickly become difficult postflop.

The flop is pretty good for you. There are few, if any, 3x and hands in the villain's range, but there are several Qx combos. Your line looks very strong thus far, including AQ, QQ, KK or AA in your range. You took a very aggressive line preflop by 4b in this hand, so I would follow through and c-bet this flop if we expect AK, JJ and air to fold rather than risk seeing another overcard on the turn.

As played, the turn is great. You need to bet now for value since the villain isn't doing any betting. Note, the villain has passed up two spots where he could have bet. It seems highly unlikely that he is holding AA, KK or QQ. His most likely holding is AK, AQ or JJ.

The river pairs the board and makes a flush possible. Since the villain would normally have lead out on the turn with a set of Qs rather than risk it checking around again, you can be confident that you have the nuts. I prefer betting smaller, 50% of the pot to allow AQ, JJ and AK a better chance of calling. By making it potsized, the only hand that is likely to call would be AKs that rivered the flush.

I think the main issue here is why you chose to 4b preflop in this spot.

Roland GTX

Old
Wed Apr 09, 2014, 10:21 PM
(#3)
Since: May 2011
Thanks Roland,

Sorry I forget posting some times. In the back of my mind someone asked me "why 4bet" and it was this hand.

Some things stick in my head from live training PSOer reviews, like - don't call 3bets oop. Then we go to the training on 4bet sizing.

Here I am evaluating a range against an unknown. So I am 3bet by the sb who is oop to me. And thought "are you messing me around"? So let's try a smallish 4bet size.

Now, if I know how loose someone is I will stack off TT in this spot. But here I am asking the question 5bet me? At this stake against an unknown I'm folding.

Not being 5bet give me more information to the villain's range, or not, as AA/KK may not go for stacks. Though what I represent QQ is valid and then we go from there...

On a rainbow flop I don't think representing top set is getting called unless I'm beat. So betting turn was my plan and wow I hit. Now, villain with real QQ raises turn?

Then I bluff the back door run out with a strong hand. Obviously dead to any relative strength that beats me. So why bet - are QQ folding...

Last edited by ForrestFive; Wed Apr 09, 2014 at 10:23 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com