Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Brags, Beats and Variance /

Would You Call This A Bad Beat?

Old
Would You Call This A Bad Beat? - Tue Apr 08, 2014, 07:41 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
This is a Play Money Sit&Go. I put the money in with KK against KQ. The villain won with a flush.

Old
Tue Apr 08, 2014, 07:54 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2012
Yes, that's a bad beat.

Old
Tue Apr 08, 2014, 08:02 AM
(#3)
Since: Mar 2014
wow that sucks problem is you get a lot of people who are either just bad players or just dont take it very seriously, to me why play if your not going to play properly, but i suppose if everybody played well it would make for a very boring game

Old
Tue Apr 08, 2014, 12:10 PM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2014
What makes that a bad beat served by a bad player? Odds of a pocket pair are 16:1 for one opponent, 3x that for three). Someone went all-in with KQ in late position and was called by KK. KK was put into as decision here regarding a good chunk of their stack. That's perfectly fine. KK called knowing a single Ace could have beaten it + a series of other less obvious hands- a known risk taken by the holder of KK. KK equity against a pretty tight range is about 75%, which is great, but a 25% shot at loosing is not a bad beat in my book. Everything that happens after this (the subsequent knowledge of the hero's holding) is irrelevant because both are already all-in based in those considerations. The hand played out and KK lost because it had a chance to lose. It's as simple as that. KK did not deserve to win here because it went all-in. It could have gone all-in against AA just as easily. Would the loss sting less if it had been an villain Ax holding?

A bad beat can vary is definition, but when you are beat by a bet made in a situation where there is a known equity of less than 4-5%, that' s a hard pill to swallow. This wasn't the case here. KQ had 44% equity against three random starting hands + good fold equity. He was shooting from a favorable equity position if you want to look at it that way. Why he would open all-in in questionable, but it certainly helps the fold equity for presenting strength. I'm not surprised to see this in a play money game where people are learning to win and people are learning how they can lose.

Old
Tue Apr 08, 2014, 12:42 PM
(#5)
Since: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleobuddy View Post
What makes that a bad beat served by a bad player? Odds of a pocket pair are 16:1 for one opponent, 3x that for three). Someone went all-in with KQ in late position and was called by KK. KK was put into as decision here regarding a good chunk of their stack. That's perfectly fine. KK called knowing a single Ace could have beaten it + a series of other less obvious hands- a known risk taken by the holder of KK. KK equity against a pretty tight range is about 75%, which is great, but a 25% shot at loosing is not a bad beat in my book. Everything that happens after this (the subsequent knowledge of the hero's holding) is irrelevant because both are already all-in based in those considerations. The hand played out and KK lost because it had a chance to lose. It's as simple as that. KK did not deserve to win here because it went all-in. It could have gone all-in against AA just as easily. Would the loss sting less if it had been an villain Ax holding?

A bad beat can vary is definition, but when you are beat by a bet made in a situation where there is a known equity of less than 4-5%, that' s a hard pill to swallow. This wasn't the case here. KQ had 44% equity against three random starting hands + good fold equity. He was shooting from a favorable equity position if you want to look at it that way. Why he would open all-in in questionable, but it certainly helps the fold equity for presenting strength. I'm not surprised to see this in a play money game where people are learning to win and people are learning how they can lose.
im sorry but i cant see how you can find any logic in that play the blinds low and he pushed for all his stack with most of the table not even acted, every hand has a chance to lose ,it doesnt make it the right play to push allin with any hand. It may not be the worst beat in history but its still bad just the same.

Old
Tue Apr 08, 2014, 03:02 PM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2011
When all the money went in, you were a prohibitive favourite, with almost 91% equity. You can't really ask for better than that (except for when villain has K2o), so it's a bad beat. Villain will win about one time in eleven, so you just have to suck it up and keep getting your money in as a favourite.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 08, 2014, 04:44 PM
(#7)
Since: Oct 2012
this would be the equivalent of flipping a coin..... but the coin has a head on each side... and u bet someone that it will land on heads and they say no it wont and take your bet.... and u sit there dumb founded when the coin lands and balances on its edge, standing vertically upright... to prove everything can be beat... even if it requires a miracle

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com