Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

NL2 Zoom, 66 with notes on LAG villain

Old
NL2 Zoom, 66 with notes on LAG villain - Wed Apr 09, 2014, 06:02 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2011
Hi,
Not sure if I butchered this hand, but comments welcome.

I have notes on this player, likes to squeeze in position.
The large button raise previously indicated AK or AQ.
The other call behind the BTN raise gave 3:1 to call.
I expected the villain to c/bet almost any flop,
the J high flop paired board suggests villain has missed,
I decided to call the flop, I was pot commited, then bet out.

Should I have just re-raised all-in on the flop?

Old
Wed Apr 09, 2014, 06:07 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Fold pre. You need to have at least $8.25 effectively to make a $0.55 call preflop. 15 x 0.55 = $8.25.

Old
Wed Apr 09, 2014, 06:13 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2011
I'm never starting the hand with less than 100bb. I auto top up, which can let you play situations like this profitably sometimes (dependent on opponents).

I'm probably folding this hand preflop either way because I don't think the odds are really there to set mine, even though there are 2 other players in the hand, I don't think it's very likely that you'll get both stacks.

Old
Wed Apr 09, 2014, 06:17 PM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2011
Thanks for the input/advice

Note to self: More practice needed on calling odds

Old
Wed Apr 09, 2014, 09:38 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2011
Look at pot odds and implied odds. There are a bunch of classes in the library dealing with playing cash and focusing on these things as well as theoretical classes.

Old
Thu Apr 10, 2014, 05:28 AM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2010
The biggest mistake in this hand is playing the game with a less than 50BB stack. This is what leads to problems in this hand and is why you're finding it very difficult to decide what to do. You should be auto-topping up or if you don't have the Bankroll, then move down to 2NL until you build up a big enough bankroll to play 5NL with a full stack.

If you had a note that the button likes to squeeze, then I think you can just fold this to the initial UTG raise. You're only barely getting enough implied odds to profitably call anyway but more importantly, you've still got three people to act behind you all of whom can squeeze. However as played, this is a clear fold to the squeeze, you're simply way too short-stacked to be set-mining.

As played I think getting it in on the flop is reasonable, but you're just playing a guessing game, which is why it's so hard to play short-stacked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt eh View Post
Fold pre. You need to have at least $8.25 effectively to make a $0.55 call preflop. 15 x 0.55 = $8.25.
I think you can go a bit less than 15x because of the fact that you're multiway, therefore more likely to get paid off if you do hit, but your point is valid nonetheless. FWIW I'm actually a bit nittier than 15x, particularly if playing against good opponents who are less likely to pay off when I hit my set.

Old
Thu Apr 10, 2014, 11:55 AM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
I still like 15x no matter what multiway has more of a chance to get value owned. Gotta make up for it!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com