Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

6max hyper advice

Old
6max hyper advice - Thu Apr 10, 2014, 08:43 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
BronzeStar
heey guys,

i have been playing the 6max hypers this year with some pretty good results, and i want to help out the people from PSO here.
in this thread your welcome to post any 6max hyper hands andi will give you some advice on how to play the hand. any questions are all welcome.
btw this is for the normal 6max hypers, i dont know enough about the satty's you can post them but im not sure if i will give you the best advice for those.

Triple Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Apr 26, 2014, 12:08 PM
(#2)
Hi adohole,

thanks for the offer. Which buy-in do you usually play? The $3.50 6max hypers are my regular game, I even show a modest win rate, but I feel a bit clueless as to how to further improve my game. The other day I purchased SNG Wizard 2 and I am still trying to figure out how to make the best use of it. So, rather than posting a hand, I would like to ask you for some general advice on how to make progress. For instance, my push/fold range could certainly be improved, but I am having difficulties to memorize all the charts that I found on the internet. Any advice would be very welcome.

Olaf

Old
Thu May 01, 2014, 09:29 AM
(#3)
BronzeStar
heey olaf,

sry i didnt check this one for a while :P i play a mix of 7's and 15's a general tip is dont use all the charts against everybody thats the most important. most charts only work vs people with the excact calling range they use.
and one thing that could really help you is use holdemresources. thats an amazign program and it will help you allot.

best of luck in your games

Triple Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu May 08, 2014, 11:11 AM
(#4)
OK, I am having a tough time, dropped ~ 40 buy-ins, and I am not sure if bad luck or bad play is the main cause. So here is a hand I would like to hear your opinion on. No reads, sorry. Should I have bet bigger anywhere?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 3.5 Tournament, 30/60 Blinds 6 Ante (3 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com/

Button (t750)
Hero (SB) (t1,180)
BB (t1,070)

Hero's M: 10.93

Preflop: Hero is SB with ,
1 fold, Hero raises to t120, BB calls t60

Flop: (t258) , , (2 players)
Hero bets t113, BB calls t113

Turn: (t484) (2 players)
Hero bets t212, BB calls t212

River: (t908) (2 players)
Hero checks, BB bets t619 (All-In), Hero folds

Total pot: t908

Results below:
BB didn't show

Old
Mon May 12, 2014, 04:53 AM
(#5)
BronzeStar
it might sound weird but i would rather just jammed it pre flop. your opponenet cant really cal you wide cause there is a shorter stack and even if he calls t8s is a hand that always has 30% at least. as soon as your min raise you puit yourself in a though spot because you canr really get it in on anny board because of the shartstack who isnt in the hand.
i hope this helps and gl in your games

Triple Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon May 12, 2014, 12:14 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
I personally wouldn't jam this pre, your risk/reward isn't good here. I would however raise a bit larger BvB. I would opt for 150 minimum. I think as played was fine. Sometimes I would opt for a X OTT.

Even after this hand was done you still have 12bbs left. I don't use M in hyper turbo SnGs. I use bb and adjusted bbs. You can get pretty short in hypers and still have a good chance of winning. I've been way down to less that 5bb and come back to win due to the variance involved in these things.

I would be opening this hand range vs. a "solid" player SB to BB: 22+ 9x+ 82s+ 84o+ 72s+ 73o+ 62s+ 63o+ 52s+ 53o+ 42s+ 43o 32s.

I would also suggest watching Spacegravy's videos in the archive in regards to playing SnGs and hyper Sngs.

Old
Wed May 14, 2014, 08:22 AM
(#7)
Since: Mar 2014
The jam pre-flop would have been fine mathematically; however, I can understand the appeal in going for the steal.

The analogy I use in these situations is this:

If you were in charge of a bomb disposal squad, and it only required 2 of your team members to defuse the bomb, would you send all fifteen of your team into harm's way?

In this case, a minraise generates sufficient fold equity, due to the ICM implications of your opponent getting involved with you (the chip leader).

So I'm absolutely fine with your line until the turn. On the turn, however, I would certainly check (with the intention of check-shoving) for value and protection. And if villain checks behind, that's cool too. It controls the pot size, and means you get to see another card for free to try and complete your flush draw.

I don't really see any benefit in betting the turn, given that you will almost always fold out the hands that you beat, and succeed only in bloating the pot and getting action from hands that are doing well against your holding. Bear in mind that, on the turn, your hand has potential but is currently only mid-strength.

Old
Wed May 14, 2014, 10:16 AM
(#8)
BronzeStar
a mr isnt bad at all, it actually is the best, BUT its really hard to play post flop with this stack set up. so in these spots i really need to know how my opponent play to consider min raising. but here i gave a litle easy to use advice something tha cant be mis ussed, cause vs some guys the mr can be really bad. so thats why i said it was best to jam

Triple Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu May 22, 2014, 04:15 AM
(#9)
Since: May 2013
SilverStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by adohole View Post
heey olaf,

sry i didnt check this one for a while :P i play a mix of 7's and 15's a general tip is dont use all the charts against everybody thats the most important. most charts only work vs people with the excact calling range they use.
and one thing that could really help you is use holdemresources. thats an amazign program and it will help you allot.

best of luck in your games
That looks like solid software. I was jw if there was something similar to that for android? I am currently using the PS app on my phone to play umtil my laptop is shipped back with a new battery (stupid Macs) LOL.

Any suggestions from you or any other PSO member?

Thanks.

Old
Thu May 22, 2014, 08:16 AM
(#10)
Since: Sep 2012
The best advice I would say is to get an ICM calculator (holdemresouces), and copy and spots you are unsure about, and look at what ranges you should be playing.

Eventually spots will become second nature and you'll have a giant edge on regs who are tanking folding J8s vs a 10bb BvB.

Old
Fri May 23, 2014, 12:29 PM
(#11)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdayy View Post
The best advice I would say is to get an ICM calculator (holdemresouces), and copy and spots you are unsure about, and look at what ranges you should be playing.

Eventually spots will become second nature and you'll have a giant edge on regs who are tanking folding J8s vs a 10bb BvB.
this

Triple Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jun 06, 2014, 11:18 AM
(#12)
Since: Nov 2013
Hey, I have got some t$s to sell. Can you suggest me some site where I could do that?

Old
Fri Jun 06, 2014, 12:26 PM
(#13)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonLee View Post
Hi nozyrabbit,

You can sell T$ right here at PokerSchoolOnline. Please >>click here<< to go to the T$ Market Place.

CannonLee
and if you post there ill buy it :P

Triple Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jun 11, 2014, 07:58 AM
(#14)
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 3.5 Tournament, 10/20 Blinds 2 Ante (5 handed)
Hero (BB) (t494)
UTG (t526)
MP (t464)
Button (t1,022)
SB (t494)

Hero's M: 12.35

Preflop: Hero is BB with ,
3 folds, SB raises to t40, Hero calls t20

Flop: (t90) , , (2 players)
SB bets t63, Hero calls t63

Turn: (t216) (2 players)
SB bets t151, Hero calls t151

River: (t518) (2 players)
SB bets t238 (All-In), Hero calls t238 (All-In)

Total pot: t994

Results below:
SB had , (two pair, tens and eights).
Hero had , (one pair, Jacks).
Outcome: SB won t994

Ok, what about this one? I am unsure of all four decisions that I had to make (and that is pretty rare for me). No stats on villain.
Pre-flop, I opted for flatting. I plan to give up if I miss completely, and if I hit, my strength is not obvious plus I have position. After all, this is only the first blind level, no need to go crazy.
Sure I could have 3-betted, but then I chase away weaker hands, and I do not know what to do when they shove (77? AT? AK? Idiot with QJ?).

On the flop, I have a gutshot and two overs. Maybe I could fold, but against top pair I have 10 outs, so I decided to peel. I could also have semi-bluffed with a shove.

Once I hit my Jack on the turn, I cannot find a fold. Raising makes no sense, if he had a pair on the flop, he would lay it down.

On the river, he moves in quickly, I have a bad feeling about this (KK?), but am too curious to fold.

How would you have played it?

Olaf

Old
Wed Jun 11, 2014, 09:13 AM
(#15)
Since: Sep 2012
Super easy get in pre.

I like folding turn.

Old
Thu Jun 12, 2014, 07:28 PM
(#16)
BronzeStar
yeah jam pre is best, dont really think we can fold the turn, its a tough hand but jam pre is gonna be hugely profitble. further how tha hand play out i would have prolly done the same, but dont know if that is best. hope this helps

p.s one tip for everybody, THE key to making money in the hypers is ICM stuff so focus on buble sitautions and try to improve there

Triple Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com