Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Awkward Stack Size

Old
Awkward Stack Size - Fri Apr 11, 2014, 04:33 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011

At 10bb I start shipping ATo from middle position, and if there are antes involved it gets shipped from everywhere but UTG.

I have slightly more than 15bb here in the cut-off, and 2 of the stacks behind have 15bb as well. Regardless of whether if I open to 2X, 2.5x, or 3x; the villains 15bb stacks are a good 3-bet re-steal size.

The field needs to be divided in half before the bubble is reached. There are 27 places paid, and less than 60 remaining. Antes do not kick in for another 20 minutes. These are 15 minute blind levels.

Is this a situation where you have to resign yourself to opening 2X then fold to a re-steal action? Or open 2X then call?

Forgot to mention two things: This is a $1 180 entry, and there has not been enough hands played here for me to have a read.

Last edited by Tonk Shuffle; Sat Apr 12, 2014 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: more info

Old
Fri Apr 11, 2014, 07:55 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2013
Hey
I would minraise this and then look at 3-bet stats for decision to call/fold when facing a 3bet shove. These spots are pretty hard to play since usually there is someone to call off and some tigh players to fold against, it really depends on how often are you thinking you getting 3betted. Also open shoving should be okay, but dont really like that, but is useful if youre not sure how to play when facing a 3-bet shove.

Cheers
bungakat

Old
Fri Apr 11, 2014, 08:10 PM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2011
I am happy shipping AT from CO with 15bb, I would be swayed a little by what we know about the players behind, the fact that button and SB are same stack leans me towards a shove, if the bb is likely to call our 2-2.5bb open then another reason to shove. If either button or SB is likely to shove over our open that's another reason ...
That said I'd be happy min raising if we have a sense that the reships are only going to be better hands and the bb is straightforward.

That doesn't really answer the question I guess I am more inclined to shove without more details.

Old
Fri Apr 11, 2014, 08:58 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2010
I think the stack sizes behind you make this a fold. You have two re-shove stacks and a BB that can afford to call wide and try to KO you. These are long blind levels, I would wait for a better spot.

Old
Sat Apr 12, 2014, 10:29 AM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2011
For 15bb, AT is an unexploitable shove in the hijack, let alone the CO. I'm jamming here, expecting to pick the blinds pretty often.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Apr 13, 2014, 12:15 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi all,

It seems like it might be close to me, but I lean towards shoving. If antes were in play it would be a clear shove. It's just too likely we have the best hand with only 3 behind us. If we had reads that everyone behind us was tight, that's the only way I'd like a min-raise/fold line. I don't really care about the big stack in the BB, if he feels like he can call us wide to try and bust us, everything in the wide category is worse than AT so I say bring it, I'm happy to try for a double up vs. a loose call here.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Apr 13, 2014, 03:47 PM
(#7)
Since: Jul 2011
Thanks everyone for the help. I know that bungakat crushes these sort of games, so I can deduce that 2X open/folding/calling is a valid option when you can get a specific read. It also gives me the luxury of seeing a flop if the button is inclined to just call the opening bet with AQ.

15BB does not provide much leverage, so without reads I will just ship it here and pray.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com