Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL FR, value betting when behind and ahead, same opponent

Old
Question
2NL FR, value betting when behind and ahead, same opponent - Sun Apr 13, 2014, 12:39 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2013
ChromeStar
Hi guys,

I've got two hands here... and am asking about maximising return / extracting value. They are related I promise!

Hand 1 - Playing from behind and OOP

Preface

A3s UTG+1
Villain is LP
Most other Villains are multi-table players
Raise to 4BB, happy to blind steal, happier to flush trap.
Flop horrible despite catching a pair

Specific Questions

1) On the turn... I'm OOP, Villain had pot-betted on flop... was checking the right move here to protect against a possible flush?

2) River... As Villain checked river I figure J has not improved their hand. They could still be ahead so I pot bet with the intention of no-showdown. Should I value bet or is no-showdown the best option in these situations. Obviously I would fold to a raise.

Hand 2 - Playing ahead and in position

Preface

KJo at the c/o, so am in position

Same Villains and same main Villain as hand before.

I raise 3BB with the intention to blind steal with a semi-decent hand.

Flop 9J9, worried about potential set as it's within Villains range... less worried about flush (but maybe should be!), but still feel I am ahead with Jacks and King kicker.

Turn and River I feel I'm ahead so am no longer worried, happy to take initiative here but I only bet the River.

Specific Questions

3) Should I be re-raising flop and turn? If so, by how much? My initial thoughts are if Villain didn't donk bet me I would have put a pot-sized bet in... should I continue with pot sized re-raise (i.e. 0.26c) or do I add on Villains 0.06c bet (i.e. 0.32c).

4) River... should I be betting less for value... or once again go for pot or no-showdown?

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks,

ApexShark

Old
Sun Apr 13, 2014, 01:01 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Apex,

Please follow the rules of the HA forum, only 1 hand to a thread so there is no confusion in any discussions.

Hand 1 is a fold preflop, if we are opening this wide from EP in a 9 handed game we are going to have some serious hand strength problems post flop. Bet/fold the flop, and as played fold to his big bet.

Re-check your river question. A value bet is a bet which we think can get called by worse hands. You have 5th pair. He's not calling with worse. Check/fold the river imo.

Hand 2, raise him on the turn imo. We are probably ahead on the flop when he donks into us, as this is often a 1 pair hand or draw, but I think it's confirmed on the turn when he bets tiny. I don't really want to give him a free (.06c) card on the river to make a hand. I would make it like .30c on the turn. As played a pot sized river bet is way too big. If you range him you should draw the conclusion that his turn and river actions mean a weak hand, so I think our best chance for value is to make a smaller bet here that he can pay off with a weak range.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Apr 13, 2014, 01:07 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2013
ChromeStar
Thanks again Dave,

Promise to only do 1 hand at a time.

Promise to tighten up!

Promise to use my read on the river to gauge whether to bet for value.

Thanks again!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com