Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

AQo on A high board - missed value?

Old
AQo on A high board - missed value? - Sun Apr 13, 2014, 12:54 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2012
Villain is 32/21, AGf of 6. Only 20 hands though so small sample.

I 3bet pre because I felt he would call with crap that I am ahead of as well as pocket pairs that I can outflop.

I make the standard cbet and get raised. This is not unexpected because I will be cbetting this board so often after a 3bet and he can reasonably think I might fold an A high board with non A hands if I wasn't just following through. Didn't feel a raise was optimal but never folding.

Turn goes check/check.

Given that action, should I be sticking out a value bet here to target worse A hands. I think when turn checks through that his flop raise was either a bluff or a slightly spewy value bet with a worse Ace. I doubt at this stage he has a real value hand.

I was thinking a half pot bet or something around that on the river?

Old
Sun Apr 13, 2014, 01:41 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
I would bet $3.50 or so OTR. Villain could have an underpair, weaker ace, or flush draw that they decided to raise OTF.

Old
Sun Apr 13, 2014, 02:14 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
Hi bhoy

That's an ugly spot to be in OTF. It's so confusing when we don't know anything about villain. I could say that we can call preflop instead of 3bet if we know that the BB won't squeeze. Maybe I prefer a value 3bet preflop vs CO or BTN open.

When they raise the flop they can do this with two pair (if they call 3bets with A5/A2; basically the reason why you 3bet your AQ) or raise with a weaker Ace, sets, FDs. And I think a call is reasonable only if they raise with a FD AND weaker Ax; I'm very happy with the turn because now its less likely they have a set or two pair which means they are either on a FD or weaker Ax; I'd like to say we can actually lead turn for 1/2 pot and expect calls from both FDs and weaker Ax. Given the action, I think its going to be hard for our opponent to bluff or to call a bet from us so I feel it can go both ways but I personally would have gone with a 44% pot bet OTR.

Old
Sun Apr 13, 2014, 06:55 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
Interesting hand. I tend to flat pre vs UTG or MP, but 3-betting is fine too. Post-flop is also good. I would check the river, hoping villain will take another stab with his busted flush draw. Small samplesize notwithstanding, his high AF leads me to believe he'll make a suicide bluff quite often.
I doubt he's ever calling with worse if you make a value-bet, so just check to induce, and snap it off if he obliges.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Apr 13, 2014, 07:15 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Am still working on my ranging of loose passives, and noticed this is is one of those 3-straight/2-flush/1-gap boards ... did the villain have A4, A3, 5h Xh, etc by any chance?

Guess I'll have to wait for the reveal to see

Old
Mon Apr 14, 2014, 02:13 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
This is the easiest BET/FOLD situation OTR IOM.

Old
Mon Apr 14, 2014, 02:34 AM
(#7)
Since: Mar 2013
I like the 3bet. I think lots of players call 3bet too wide ip, including regs. I think it is a lot more profitable as we have to check fold a lot of flops. I would only flat against a villain I know who is relatively tight and knows how to fold to 3bet. As everyone said, 1/2p bet on turn is the best option as it makes your decision making process easy and you can fold to a reraise. Check the river and consider calling a non-heart as I think he will have some flush draws in his range. That being said in my experience villains are much less likely to bet missed draws with such large pots.

Old
Mon Apr 14, 2014, 03:12 AM
(#8)
Since: Jan 2013
I dont like leading the turn if he does have Ax he can just jam the turn expexting you to snap off with a draw if you bet 3.20 ish into the the 6.30.

Old
Mon Apr 14, 2014, 01:47 PM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2012
Kind of surprised this got quite a few comments but I do welcome them all.

I'm happy with the 3bet pre, but I agree a call can be good too. Flop, I was happy to call his raise, it doesn't really have to mean that he has two pair or a better Ace. I just felt he would figure I would cbet so often there that he can take me off a lot of hands when I don't have an ace.

I'm not sure why it would be good to lead out on turn? If I lead out on turn, is it not more or less the same as just 3betting the flop? If I bet turn for half pot, I've committed most of my stack, am I committed to calling off a shove?

On river, I feel half pot would have been good, but, as it turns out, he had KJo and wouldn't have called anyway. I just felt it was a situation I should have tried to get some value from worse Aces.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com