Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

AKs near the bubble in bigger 11$

Old
AKs near the bubble in bigger 11$ - Sun Apr 13, 2014, 05:43 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2013

arround 100 left to the bubble burst, both players seem lag, and specially the button, my image was of a rock, only played premiums and strong made hands post flop. I was thinking about calling, but with so much in the middle i think the push its still better, despite i think the button will call with a very large range.
utg was a 41 /23 through 23 hands and btn a 32/24 through 41 hands(vpip/pfr). should i have folded because of icm? calling and fold in a flop in i didnt connect? or the push is the best depite no folding equity to the btn?

Old
Sun Apr 13, 2014, 06:10 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
I've never played the Bigger $11. Any idea how long it will take for those 100 bustouts to occur? If you can play cautiously (i.e. fold everything but QQ+) for only 3 or 4 hands and make the money, that's definitely an option. But if you want a decent chance to go deep, then I think this spot is too good to pass up.

I doubt these particular players are conscious of your image (the call with deuces is terrible against anyone, imo) but I'd be squeeze-shoving here too, and not minding if I get called or pick up the dead money. AQo and TT would cause tougher decisions, but with these stacks AKs pretty much has to go in I think. Well played, unlucky.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Apr 13, 2014, 07:30 PM
(#3)
thanks for your reply . the bubble taked more 20 minutes or half and hour more to burst , the blind time is 12 minutes and inicial stack 3k . btw the guy who called with 22 was supernova

Old
Mon Apr 14, 2014, 12:59 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi scarface763!

With AKs in the BB and a 16BB stack, I get a min-raise and a call. Especially with this being near the bubble, with two looser opps on top of it, this is a perfect spot to shove as a squeeze play.

Plays like this are why I want to follow the bankroll management guidelines of 100 buy-ins, in my bankroll. Most players that are above their bankroll will play scared here, but the correct play is to shove. It's also a correct call by the opp, as they have a pocket pair and have 40% pot equity. 22 is most likely in a flip, so they have the 40% equity needed to call.

When playing tourneys, I want to be able to make these plays, as this is how to make a deep run in the tourney (where the real money is). ICM does not even come into play here, as I do not have a big stack and I'm nowhere near the final table. I need to be accumulating chips and the best play to do so is to shove in this situation.

I also do not even want to consider calling or raising and then folding, as my stack size does not allow me to do so. A standard raise here pot-commits me (puts over 1/3 of my chips into the pot), so I have one play... to shove.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 14, 2014, 02:20 AM
(#5)
thanks for the answer JWK24, deuces have 40% equity against my "probably" range and the pot odds are barely 1.45:1 so its a very close spot for him depending on the range that he put me, i problably had folded preflop the deuces in his situation because of the risk of this type of situation of getting squeezed.
Taking in consideration my possibily pushing range (i wouldnt push very light in that spot) for example 44 i think its close to shove . i also agree with you considerations of bankroll management (i also think 100 bis is too short for large field mtts , but its my opinion) .

Last edited by scarface763; Mon Apr 14, 2014 at 02:23 AM..

Old
Mon Apr 14, 2014, 10:17 AM
(#6)
Since: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarface763 View Post
thanks for the answer JWK24, deuces have 40% equity against my "probably" range and the pot odds are barely 1.45:1 so its a very close spot for him depending on the range that he put me, i problably had folded preflop the deuces in his situation because of the risk of this type of situation of getting squeezed.
Taking in consideration my possibily pushing range (i wouldnt push very light in that spot) for example 44 i think its close to shove . i also agree with you considerations of bankroll management (i also think 100 bis is too short for large field mtts , but its my opinion) .
Nothing much to add here, standard shove.
I think that even 100 buy-ins is not enough for fields with 10k+ runners.

Old
Sat May 10, 2014, 08:44 AM
(#7)
Since: Mar 2011
Hello Scarface,
I have a question which it's not about the hand.

How did you embed such a big size Hand replayer in this post? I only see people using tiny PSO Hand replayer. This looks like a new version bigger in size.

Thanks.

Old
Sat May 10, 2014, 08:56 AM
(#8)
Since: May 2013
ICM is for the final table. Use chip equity before. Ak is a shove
Always.
Ps All Tags die when the antes kick in. U gotta loosen up.
Sent from my HTC Rhyme S510b using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by awmm83; Sat May 10, 2014 at 08:59 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com