Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

implied pot ods

Old
implied pot ods - Mon Apr 14, 2014, 02:48 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2013
i have forgotten how to count implied odds, so i started googleing and youtubeing but im getting 2 different versions, so im asking which formula for fraction calculating is correct...(not the ratio 1:4, 1:5 etc, though it should be same that 1:4 is same as 1/5, 1:5 is same as 1/6)

first:
villain_bet / (villain_bet + my_turn_call+ pot_size + remaining_stack )

second:
villain_bet / (villain_bet + pot_size + remaining_stack )

i reused my hand here, lets say oponent haz just AQo, so i have 9 outs = 18% OTT

so which one?
1.08/(1.08 + 1.08 + 1.08 + 2.70)=0.18=need 9 outs OTT
or
1.08/(1.08 + 1.08 + 2.70)=0.22=need 11 outs OTT

Old
Mon Apr 14, 2014, 07:36 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2013
I would not include "my_turn_call" in the formula as it's your money that you will win back so there is no point in taking that into account imo.

But any way, don't start calculating/act on implied odds in 100BB situations. For implied odds you need 200-300BB or more.
In this hand, there is no telling if he will pay for your nutflush if you hit OTR and you cannot be sure the a-high flush will be enough to win so just act on immidiate odds and fold this as you did.

(BTW, I would fold pre, but I know you don't... but know A6s is the most rotten suited ace in the deck )

Old
Mon Apr 14, 2014, 08:21 AM
(#3)
Since: May 2011
Yes, look at your immediate odds with one card to come is 4 : 1 and the price you are getting on the turn to call is 2.16 / 1.08 = 2 : 1 (sorry ratio method).

For the extra implied odds you need another 2 x 1.08 and the effective stack needs to be deep enough to cover this. Which is true as the villain has $2.71 behind.

Though taking the risk on the turn call are you going to be paid the rest when you hit?

Old
Mon Apr 14, 2014, 11:32 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi,

Implied odds are the total money you expect to win if you make the best hand, divided by the amount to call. So for example, if there is $100 in the pot, and villain bets $100 on the turn with another $500 behind for the river, your immediate pot odds are 2-1 ($200 in the pot when you face calling $100) and your maximum implied odds are 7-1 ($200 in the pot + $500 more to win on the river when you get there). So this is formula 2 in your post. Also note implied odds are a judgement call, it's not good enough to say oh I have 7-1 implied odds so I can call... the villain has to give the money up too. So if you felt he would only reasonably pay off $100 more no the river when you make your hand, then the implied odds would be 3-1 ($200 in the pot + $100 more expected on the river)

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 14, 2014, 01:22 PM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkleefstra View Post
But any way, don't start calculating/act on implied odds in 100BB situations. For implied odds you need 200-300BB or more.
FWIW, I completely disagree with this. Implied odds even have relevance pre-flop in 50bb tournament situations. In cash games, the lack of implied odds is why I generally don't go set-mining - or playing suited connectors - against short-stacks.
If you ignored implied odds 100bb deep, you would fold an OESD on the flop if villain bet half pot. When was the last time you did that?

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 14, 2014, 02:31 PM
(#6)
Since: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
FWIW, I completely disagree with this. Implied odds even have relevance pre-flop in 50bb tournament situations. In cash games, the lack of implied odds is why I generally don't go set-mining - or playing suited connectors - against short-stacks.
If you ignored implied odds 100bb deep, you would fold an OESD on the flop if villain bet half pot. When was the last time you did that?
You are allowed to disagree
What I mean is, implied odds on 100BB should be used to push odds only small like OESD OTF against a half pot bet. If villain is short, you should fold your OESD.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com