Poker Hand Reviews & Analysis

Old
Poker Hand Reviews & Analysis - Mon Apr 14, 2014, 04:34 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2010
(Administrator)
WhiteStar
Hello,

Starting today PokerSchoolOnline will make some small adjustments to the Hand Analysis forums here at the school. These changes are being made to create to allow for more detailed and advanced discussion amongst the more experienced players as well as offering a platform for discussion for new and beginning players.

A full explanation of the changes can be found here:

Going forward, all ChromeStar players and above that play 10NL and above will be able to use our Advanced Hand Review forums where their poker hands will be reviewed by a member of the PokerSchoolOnline Hand Analyser Team.

Players below ChromeStar and playing between 2NL - 5NL are welcome to post their hands in the Poker Beginners Hand Discussion forum. These hands are not required to be reviewed by the PokerSchoolOnline Hand Analyser Team and instead are open for discussion amongst all of the Community here at the school.

PokerSchoolOnline encourage all members, both old and new to post hands for discussion and it's a fantastic way to learn and improve your Poker game.

Team PokerSchoolOnline

Team PokerSchoolOnline - Administration

Last edited by PSO Admin; Mon Apr 14, 2014 at 04:36 PM..

Old
Mon Apr 14, 2014, 05:32 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2012
'More advanced members that have achieved ChromeStar level and play 10NL and above on PokerStars are welcome to post their hands in the advanced section for both tournament and cash game play.....'

You have to play 10NL to get tournament hands reviewed?

That's the way that reads to me, if so, that doesn't seem to make any sense for players who solely play MTT's and no cash.

Old
Mon Apr 14, 2014, 05:37 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoylegend View Post
'More advanced members that have achieved ChromeStar level and play 10NL and above on PokerStars are welcome to post their hands in the advanced section for both tournament and cash game play.....'

You have to play 10NL to get tournament hands reviewed?

That's the way that reads to me, if so, that doesn't seem to make any sense for players who solely play MTT's and no cash.
Hello bhoylegend;

For Tourney hands as long as your Chrome Star + this has no effect, you may post any tourney hand you would like to have reviewed

Thanks for being part of PSO, and Best of Luck at the Tables

Brian

Super-Moderator

7 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by TOO2COO; Mon Apr 14, 2014 at 05:46 PM..

Old
Mon Apr 14, 2014, 05:58 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Wow, what a big change - think I need time to process this!

Old
Mon Apr 14, 2014, 10:40 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
It wasn't that long ago that I was at 5nl, so it's easy for me to imagine what it'd be like to be there now and not have HA to turn to for help - it would be so scary to be left to fend for myself. Am sure I wouldn't be where I am today without the help I was able to get from HA.

Old
Mon Apr 14, 2014, 11:40 PM
(#6)
Sam, there's TWO section, one was added for advanced HA
Members can still post

Old
Tue Apr 15, 2014, 04:25 PM
(#7)
Since: Aug 2013
ChromeStar
I think this is a good idea, cos idiots like me are clogging up the Hand Analysis forum otherwise. So sorry about that.

In my defence I do try to do a self evaluation of my hand... just that Dave and George then point out another way of thinking about it!

Thanks for all the help, the hand analysis is really really good.

Cheers,

Apex

Old
Tue Apr 15, 2014, 07:21 PM
(#8)
Since: Feb 2010
I know it takes a lot of time, thought and expertise to do the hand analysis and have always been grateful for the good free advice available.

Now that I don't play too much real money and earn very few vpps there is a slight regret that I am demoted to the second class analysis forum, but I also know there are many very good unofficial hand analysers and PSO regs who will contribute very valuable info there.

So not too concerned by the change - I suppose it is necessary due to volume of generated traffic in the HA forums.

And a major value of HA forums lies not just in getting specific analysis of my own hands, but in reading others posts and the HA response so I can learn from those tricky spots that better players than me encounter.

So as long as my lowly VPP status does not prevent me reading and learning from others posts I don't have a problem with this change.

Ed

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 15, 2014, 08:33 PM
(#9)
Since: Mar 2011
Surely it is us beginers in the school who need the most help so if im being honest im in disagreement with this new policy

Old
Wed Apr 16, 2014, 04:50 AM
(#10)
Since: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo834 View Post
Surely it is us beginers in the school who need the most help so if im being honest im in disagreement with this new policy
Hey rolo,

To be honest I think this may actually help the beginning players adapt faster to their stakes. They didn't say that your hand won't be talked about by the hand analyzers they just said that it may not.

Here is why I think that it may actually help. By separating the stakes you are going to get feedback from people that are playing more at this level, not that the higher stakes guys can't win here but a lot of the plays they make in the higher levels really don't work in the micros. So you won't be overloaded with advanced plays that frankly don't work well here. Then once you start beating this level you will be a chrome star and can move up to the next learning level.. I would associate it with math you know you don't take algebra before basic math.

I also really don't think the hand analyzers are going to abandon the micro stakes I think they are just trying to make it an easier learning experience for everybody.

Anyway give it a chance and see how it works out.

John A.K.A. FireMedic815

Old
Wed Apr 16, 2014, 04:59 AM
(#11)
Since: May 2012
lol I guess its only a bummer for players from America who can't achieve a chrome star but still may be playing at the higher levels at other sites.

Old
Wed Apr 16, 2014, 12:55 PM
(#12)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMedic815 View Post
lol I guess its only a bummer for players from America who can't achieve a chrome star but still may be playing at the higher levels at other sites.
The US members can still post them in the Beginners Hand Discussion section. Just because we aren't required to respond doesn't mean that we won't, especially to interesting spots and hands.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JWK24; Wed Apr 16, 2014 at 01:18 PM..

Old
Wed Apr 16, 2014, 01:33 PM
(#13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMedic815 View Post
................... a lot of the plays they make in the higher levels really don't work in the micros. So you won't be overloaded with advanced plays that frankly don't work well here. Then once you start beating this level you will be a chrome star and can move up to the next learning level.. I would associate it with math you know you don't take algebra before basic math.
Very true John

Old
Wed Apr 16, 2014, 08:03 PM
(#14)
Since: Mar 2011
well John aka JWK has helped me out a lot in the past more than he will ever know plus others and im truly grateful

The problem is if only a non trainer analyses a hand how do I know its good info

Im not saying our members are bad but if you have 7 answers to a problem 3 which are correct and 4 which are not how is the beginner goign to determine which peoples answers to really trust

Like when I went to school aged 7 I knew my teachers giving out the advice was to be trusted as they were qualified whereas if a random peron popped into the school and told you stuff well it could be all correct or maybe not

I strongly feel they have got this completely wrong......they should want the learners to move up

I realise everyone stiem is limited and wont get into the politics of the situation but liek most changes a real reason wasnt given

My feelings havent changed and feel a person just starting out has now been handicapped

Im pretty sure a ot of people will think this way but may not want to type it here in fear

I typed it out the othe rnight deleted it then thought whatthe hell they asked and im given my honest feelings so they cant shoot me for that

But yeah as you say give it time and we will see but a 2 tier system does not seem fair to me

Anyways ive said whats on mind and made my point and very much doubt i wil change my mind on this matter

rolo ps I have to disagree also firemedic with yoru rreasoning...pokerstras wants to make money so wants people to move up and play more.....people can only move up once they can afford it really(if their sensible) so they maybe stopping say 2% of players moving up by changing this policy now this may not sound like a lot but i bet it is over a players career

Last edited by rolo834; Wed Apr 16, 2014 at 08:07 PM..

Old
Explain difference with Advance / Beginners hands review for NL5 and NL2 players? - Thu Apr 17, 2014, 05:54 AM
(#15)
Since: Feb 2013
Hello,

For advance analysis, it clearly states that it’s open for all NL levels, also including NL2 and NL5 as long as asker has a chrome star.

Beginner hand discussion description then says that NL2 and NL5 should post here, but again it’s tied to bronze star member hood.

Confusing...

So if I’m chrome 5NL player, can I choose which forum topic to post the question?

***Moved to correct thread***

Last edited by royalraise85; Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 06:46 AM..

Old
Thu Apr 17, 2014, 06:12 AM
(#16)
'More advanced members that have achieved ChromeStar level and play 10NL and above on PokerStars are welcome to post their hands in the advanced section'

Read more: Poker Hand Reviews – Poker School Online: Learn Poker Strategy, Odds and Tells http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...#ixzz2z8Yu118v

Old
Thu Apr 17, 2014, 07:10 AM
(#17)
It doesn't say that, at least not 15 minutes ago, or yesterday. I see it says so in blog though.

Edit: Well, in this case, I don't really see the reason to post hand analysis hands to PSO for 2NL/5NL players. If 2NL and 5NL players are the ones doing the analysis, I'm kinda trust myself better :p Given, that I don't usually have a clue, this is a sad combination. But this is covered already.

Are you phasing down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo834 View Post

My feelings havent changed and feel a person just starting out has now been handicapped
The solely reason for me to join PSO was that other forums I had no skill to know who to trust. I hope I will be 10NL soon, but has taken almost 2 years. If a person is 2 years in some forum, he will mostlikely, never change to other forum.

Also my guess is that people from 25NL are starting to look closely other forums too, as they might need different kind of support. There is strong possiblity that advanced area is left almost solely to 10NL players. Obviously situation can change now, if advanced forum will transform to entirely different beast. But the fact remains: if they go through 2+2 they will not change to PSO usually.

I suggest that areas are divided by the money we pay. There could be chrome and gold area. Also there should be no posting limitations, only "new topic" restriction. Big stars could analyze the gold+ area. Even though I have to say that these not so big stars are usually way more productive commentators (in sense of education).

Last edited by braveslice; Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 12:16 PM..

Old
Thu Apr 17, 2014, 07:36 AM
(#18)
I must admit that I am not totally sold on this either. For a good year or more PokerStars and PSO have been heavily advertising the existence of the site and the HA forums. Get your hands analysed by a professional player was a selling point.

Some of the 'advanced' hand analysers are regular players, decent regular players but regular players all the same, and some of the analysis I am not totally sold on it. Whatever though, I appreciate their efforts, and their good intentions.

It just confuses me what the long term intentions are, Live Training no longer recorded so the library will have no new content, hand analysis no longer required for those who, in theory at least, need the most help.

I dunno, i'm sure there are sound reasons, but considering how much higher a % of a pot is raked at the micros compared to higher up this seems unfair.

It's not a free forum, it's paid for by the Rational Group who get their money from rake, so it's a reduction in the quality of service for some members.

EDIT: Just to add, I don't think there is no merit to the change or anything, just not sure of what the main goals of the change are when taking into account other 'improvements' (improvements in the sense of New Labour style impovements).

Last edited by bhoylegend; Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 08:26 AM..

Old
Thu Apr 17, 2014, 09:11 AM
(#19)
I got number 11.5 new topics per day for the last week for poker money hand analysis. The reason can’t really be too many posts.

I’m guessing they are actually trying to get more posts, but I do fail to form the equation for that if nothing else changes.

Last edited by braveslice; Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 09:14 AM..

Old
Thumbs down
Is this the real cost of the new Training Tool? - Thu Apr 17, 2014, 12:01 PM
(#20)
Since: Mar 2013
I have given this matter some consideration, and can only conclude that it is the start of the descent down a slippery slope. A lot of Live Training covers 10NL and above so it is only logical that more sessions are also restricted to 150VPP+.

The cynic in me cannot help but wonder if there is a commercial driver behind this - if players don't progress, there is no financial incentive for Rational to run PSO.

I can do algebra; I also know when not to use it.

Kev.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com