Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

NL10 ZOOM Set vs very bas river card

Old
NL10 ZOOM Set vs very bas river card - Tue Apr 15, 2014, 10:44 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013

Vilain unknown. I believe he might have JJ-99,AQs,QJs,AQo. And i should cheked on this teriblle the river.

Old
Tue Apr 15, 2014, 12:45 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Note: Pocket 3s are a bit too low for me preflop to call a 3-bet. I would try to stick to 55+.

As played we need to check back this river. Diamonds come in... Tx is a straight. I guess this villain called you with QJ or something. This bet OTR is too thin IMO.

Old
Tue Apr 15, 2014, 01:07 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
Hi Beatmaker, I agree with dirteh. I would fold preflop; 33 are too weak to compete post flop and we don't have good odds (both pot odds and implied odds) to set-mine profitably. If we think of hands that 3bet preflop and x/c flop then I think we could be looking at weak TP (Kxs), MP+backdoor draw (QT, AQ, QJ, ATs), maybe JJ/TT so it's also hard for our opponent to call with one pair maybe even two pair

Old
Tue Apr 15, 2014, 01:10 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi A-B,

The tough part about bad river cards is two-fold... not only that the beat us sometimes, but also that the are scary to the villain when the don't beat us. I feel like if a villain's range is weak, they're more likely to fold or bluff a scare card, and if it's stronger, they will call us.

Here I think his range is fairly weak. There just aren't many strong hands that 3b us preflop out of position, then check/call flop and turn on a wet board. AQ seems like the primary candidate hand to fit all actions. Since you are not playing with any reads it's hard to assign stronger or weaker hands.

I feel like we're usually still good here, but villain may not pay us off as often when the flopped flush draw gets there as well as a 4 liner to a straight. I don't mind giving him a chance to hero us since I think we're usually ahead, but it's very thin imo, and I wish we sized our turn bet larger since the board is so dynamic and the J improves him to pair+draw hands quite frequently... more like $3.50 on the turn, then the pot is $11.32 and he's got $4.69 left, so more tempted to make the hero call in a huge pot.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com