Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$1.50 1 table bubble

Old
$1.50 1 table bubble - Tue Apr 15, 2014, 03:37 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2014

This guy was shoving a tonne of hands. His bet sizing the whole game was way off so i guessed he was a fish, which he was playing 2 4 suited out of position.

Did i play this right anyway? Can't exactly expect him to be sat on quad 2s, flopped but what can you do

Old
Tue Apr 15, 2014, 04:40 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi xTrey815!

With under 10BB, especially as the short stack on the bubble, I want to be either shoving or folding.

When it folds to me on the button, my first instinct is that this is an easy shove with a broadway ace, but to be sure, I need to go to an ICM calculator and get what my shove range should be.

This is the hand range that I should be shoving with: 22+ Ax+ K4s+ KTo+ Q8s+ QTo+ J8s+ JTo T8s+ 97s+ 87s

My ATo is well within this range, so I need to shove preflop.

I want to shove in order to maximize my fold equity and I definitely do not want to min-raise. This hand is a great example of why. When the SB calls, the BB is priced in to see the flop with any 2 cards with backs on them and should never fold. Obviously, when they are able to correctly see that they flop quads, they will never fold. If I give the opps the correct odds to play hands, I will lose chips to them on average... something that I want to avoid.

The key is to shove here preflop, which should make the opp fold (if they call a shove with a junk hand like 24, then I'm going to be gaining a large number of chips on average from them and want to be playing these tourneys with them.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com