looking at his stack size i tought calling is right

Old
Tue Apr 15, 2014, 11:24 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi net.exe!

Unless I had a note on the opp saying that they were a total nit, I'm more than happy to call off for 1/3 of my stack with AK preflop. Well played.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Unhappy
Wed Apr 16, 2014, 04:21 AM
(#3)
Since: Mar 2014
Hi, JWK24, Hi net.exe!

I don't understand, why should we call the all-in:

by my calculation, the chances AK wins QQ is lower than 48.7%(include the QQ make a set but AK doesn't make trips).

AK is not on BB/SB, so the pot equity of calling 0.91 to win 1.85 is 49.1%,
it is worse than a coinflip,

and what if the villain has a KK? AK wins only 1/3.

Old
Wed Apr 16, 2014, 05:03 AM
(#4)
Since: Apr 2013
You can call because villain is short stacked and villains will shove with a wider range than you might think. AJ AQ, JJ, TT, even some real bad hands. Like John said if you have a note that he shoves only AA/KK when short stacked then yes fold.

Cheers,

Matt

Last edited by pullin1988; Wed Apr 16, 2014 at 05:08 AM..

Old
Wed Apr 16, 2014, 08:44 AM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2013
ChromeStar
Hi all,

I agree, because he is short stacked and you have already built up your pot then it's worth the risk.

If he was pushing $2+ I'd probably fold... only because on 2NL I've noticed that less than $1 shoves are normally worse than QQ and AK.

WiCD, yes calculation wise, AK vs QQ is not a good shove... it's a coin flip... but you are making an educated decision that they AA, KK, QQ and JJ are unlikely, and they more than likely have Ax or Kx or suited connectors... all of which you will be ahead of preflop.

Make sense?

If we knew the cards before... then obviously no... don't call... but we don't. That's why we need to "range" them.

Cheers,

Apex

Old
Wed Apr 16, 2014, 02:55 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
WiCD,

I can't just look at the opp's exact cards, I need to take their whole range into account.

If an opp would shove 10% of hands, then my AK has 58% equity. If they'd shove wider, then I have even more equity.

If I'm up against a nit, on the other hand, that would only shove QQ+, AK+... then I need to fold.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com