Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Tournament player moving to cash games.

Old
Tournament player moving to cash games. - Wed Apr 16, 2014, 05:05 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2014
Hi guys. So i've come to that stage in my poker career where i'd like to set in stone what type of game i play. I've played SNGs for the past 2 years but cash games are always lingering as a new option.

What i'm trying to work out is, how hard is a change from a tournament player to a cash game player? I've decided i think i would prefer the cash game scenario but i have no clue where to start and how long it would take me to become a competent cash game grinder!

Does anyone have any advice on this situation? I'm a very serious player so this change is something i've been thinking about for a while so any help would be immensely appreciated.

Just as a heads up i've never really played cash games before, but at the moment i study poker for around 2/3 hours a day and play for 2/3 hours so if you can take that into consideration too.

Thanks in advance for any comments and/or help on this matter!

Tom.

Old
Wed Apr 16, 2014, 07:16 PM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2012
I wouldnt know what it takes to become competent cash game grinder for i am not one, but i am pretty sure i can beat the lowest levels. Only advice is to start playing, if u have never done that and evaluate/review after 10k hands and then you will be able to see stats, leaks etc. if u use tracking soft.

Old
Wed Apr 16, 2014, 08:22 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
Warning: This is just the opinion of a micro-stakes cash game noob.

I recently switched to cash games from SNGs and MTTs - as sort of a new year, new game thing. I was +ROI in MTTs and STTs, but immediately spewed 20 buy-ins in my first 3000 cash game hands. I had tried cash games a year and a half ago with the same results - playing dumb, like stacking off with top pair top kicker. It takes awhile to get used to playing deep stacked, but definitely worth it. It will also help with your early stage play in SNGs. Most SNGs/MTTs soon revolve around making medium and short stacked decisions. While the minimum buy-in to a cash table is now 40bb, they have recently changed that rules so that short stack players can only buy-in a limited number of times. This was done to prevent 'hit-and-run' players from profiting. Cash games require more decisions and planning. Manipulating and understanding stack to pot ratios (SPRs) is a useful tool. The button is more powerful, because there is generally more action on later streets. Value betting is very important, and so is being able to fold a strong made hand sometimes.

The thrill and tilt aspects are different as well. Tilting during cash games gets expensive very quickly, and its not the same as when you are out the SNG (depending on how many tables you play.) You can choose not add another SNG, but in cash games the hands keep coming when you use auto-top-up. (I agree with the school of thought that you should be at least 100bb deep.) Have a stop-loss criteria, and stick to it. There is also more of a 'rush' to winning a SNG or MTT. Cash games are more of a grind. The only time I have gotten the same feeling from a cash game was from winning a pot that was close to 600bb.

If you are studying the game, and reviewing your sessions, you should be able to hold your own in the micros. Best of luck!

Old
Fri Apr 18, 2014, 03:08 PM
(#4)
Since: May 2012
Hi Tom,

They have a ton of videos in the archives on cash game play. Felix is also doing a grinding it up challenge on you tube. If you go to you tube and search xflixx you should be able to find it.

I think one of the biggest adjustments you will have to make is playing deeper stacked. So you will have to adjust your range depending on how deep you are vs the other players and not to stack off really deep too light.

You can play more marginal hands preferably in pos. deep stacked like suited connectors hoping to stack a big pp. just don't get carried away.

gl at the tables.

John (FireMedic815)

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com