Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Still cant play KK propely

Old
Still cant play KK propely - Wed Apr 16, 2014, 05:27 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2012
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Old
Wed Apr 16, 2014, 05:45 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi D0M41N!

What type of tourney was this from and what reads do you have on the opps? This is critical information in deciding the correct way to play a hand, as different tourney types have different strategies.

One key will be bet sizes, but there can be others too, depending on your reply.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Apr 16, 2014, 05:52 PM
(#3)
it was a special 0.55 (the hot) and the opponent was re raising all bets in almost all hands.. i was folding with A-7, and 88...

Old
Wed Apr 16, 2014, 06:16 PM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi D0M41N!

When sizing my bets, I want to keep all of them standard. The reason for this is that players that bet more with better hands and less with marginal ones are basically turning their cards face-up to an observant opponent... something that I want to avoid.

With KK preflop (or any other hand that I'm going to be the first one into the pot with), I want to make a standard raise, which for this blind level is to 3BB+1BB for each limper. With no limpers, I will raise to 180... no more, no less. By betting the same whether I have KK, AK, JTs, 55, etc.. the opps won't know what my hand is.

I flop an overpair to the board and when it checks to me, I once again want to make a standard bet. Bets postflop need to be sized based on the size of the pot, number of opps and board texture. With 2 opps, a standard bet is 2/3 pot, so I will bet 500. I do not want to overbet here as it screams big hand to the opps, so they will know what I'm holding.

When this bet gets called, I'm expecting the opp to have Qx or possibly diamonds. The second Q on the turn is a problem, as Qx now has me crushed. Due to this, even though I have KK, I'm going to check for pot control since I can easily be behind. If the opp makes a sizable bet, I need to fold.

Just because I have a premium hand preflop, that doesn't mean that it still be a premium hand after all 5 cards are on the board.

HERE is a link to a blog that I wrote on postflop bet sizes. I think it will help you.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Apr 16, 2014, 07:27 PM
(#5)
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

This was again today... I try i really try.. i lose 1.500u$s in the last 3 months...and i lose with premium hands.. always... AA, kk, QQ... AK suited...if i win one.. it is a miracle...truly tired of this... it can be because of the bet.. but anyway... if i bet right i will lose anyway.. so whats the point...

Old
Wed Apr 16, 2014, 07:31 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
the first raise here cannot be to lower than 900, I'd make it 1125. They got the odds the second that the bet was lower than it and when the opp gets the odds in their favor, they will win chips on average, each and every time.

the hand was misplayed by the opps too, as the first opp should shove instead of min-raising.

Villain 5 also bet this one badly, as they should not call twice, they should raise one of them to isolate.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com