JJ - yay or nay?

Old
JJ - yay or nay? - Fri Apr 18, 2014, 09:51 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013
BronzeStar
Hi all,

JJ-I don't like them.

I raise always. If it is reasonably re raised I will call. If anything higher, I fold, depending on my stack size.
If the flop comes with a Q or K and a large bet is placed, I fold or really to any wet board that I didn't hit the flop on that signals FOLD, especially if the opponent is tight.

However, say the flop is 825 with no connections and your opponent raises, do you continue to call/re raise or do you fold? Even many tight players I know will re raise with an AK or 10 10 on a flop like this. I worry they may have a QQ KK AA and beat me to it but at the same time they may just be c betting or have a lower double.

How do y'all handle this kind of hand and what brings you a good result?

Old
Fri Apr 18, 2014, 11:03 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
You are not going to get a definitive answer to this question, and anyone that gives one shouldn't be listened to for poker advice.

It's situationally dependent. With the situation you laid out of an 825 flop and being raised, I can name situations where I would fold, call, or reraise.

My advice is to stop worrying about specific hands in a specific spot like this, instead spend your time working on fundamentals of ranging your opponents, interpreting stats/reads, odds and outs, board texture, etc. Work on these areas to improve how you think poker, then when you get into one of these sticky spots you'll be able to better use all the info you have to make the most informed decision possible (your best guess)... and you will find that when you have JJ on 825 and are raised, you will sometimes feel confident in folding, sometimes in reraising, and many times in simply calling.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Apr 18, 2014, 11:17 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
It's my least favorite hand in hold'em.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Apr 18, 2014, 01:00 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHolden4 View Post
How do y'all handle this kind of hand and what brings you a good result?
As with any general poker question, the answer is "it depends". :/
How I play jacks depends a lot on my position, any action in front of me (bets and raises), and who will act after me. This is why it's crucial to take notes on villains' tendencies. If they generally only raise hands that do well against jacks, then I'll usually be cautious (and treat JJ much like like TT-88). If I think the villain(s) will call my raises with worse hands than jacks, and then get sticky and call with a lower pair post-flop, I'll bet bigger.
If I just called a raise in position and the flop contains an overcard, I'll usually call and see the turn, but again it depends on a read. Against some aggressive players, I won't fold on AKx flops, but most of the time I'll give a player credit for a better hand if he represents he has it. With an overpair, my default line is to bet if I was the pre-flop raiser, and call if I was a caller, trying to get to showdown fairly cheaply. I rarely think it's a good idea to raise post-flop with just one pair (and only 2 outs if I'm behind), unless the opponent makes a tiny bet and I think he'll call a raise with a hand I beat.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 21, 2014, 05:20 PM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2010
Well I would have to agree with the statements made here. I mean it seems like there is no "right" way to play jacks. It really does come down to who you are playing them against and what the situation is.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com