Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Call or raise? Final table of 180 man.

Old
Call or raise? Final table of 180 man. - Mon Apr 21, 2014, 05:15 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
I have been debating this hand for a few days and would appreciate some input on it.

Three people left in a 180 man SNG.

Chip leader had 137K
2nd had 76k
I had 54K

Blinds at 1K/2K with a 200 ante.

I am dealt 9d9s in the BB. Chip leader raises to 5500, SB calls. To be brutally honest with myself, my opponents have been playing better than me.

I have played with both of my opponents for a while (not just at the final table). My read on the chip leader is that he will open with a wide range. I have taken a few pots off of him during the tourney. I haven't seen my other opponent just call a raise with a premium hand. They have come over the top. Given both of these factors, I shove for all my chips.

I ended up being called by the SB who turned over AhJs and they turned a jack.

Anyway my debate has been whether I needed to shove there, or if a call would have been fine. Flop came 566 rainbow, but obviously the flop could have came a lot differently too.

I have a pro and a con for both approaches.

Pro for shove is that it makes someone decide on investing a good portion of their stack. Con is that likely I am either a coin flip or way behind if called.

Pro for call is that I can see a flop fairly cheap and go from there. Con is that flop could have easily been a lot different than what it was.

After really thinking about this. I think I should have called preflop given that I would have still had about 25BB's even if I just called and folded the flop.

That said, what do you think?

Old
Mon Apr 21, 2014, 05:31 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi MRSWAT!

When there is a raise to 5500, a call is taken out of my playbook. If I want to call to setmine, I need to have 15 times the bet in both my stack and the opp's stack. I don't have that many, so my options are now to shove or fold. 3 handed with 99 and as the shortest at the table, I'm shoving. The reason for the shove is that if I want to re-raise, I need to raise to around 3X the previous bet and this bet basically pot-commits me (if I make it, then I can't later fold in the hand).

If it's me in that situation, I'm 3-bet shoving with 99.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com