Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$0.02 990plr hyper please help

Old
$0.02 990plr hyper please help - Fri Apr 25, 2014, 08:06 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012
Ok guys so last year i decided to build my bankroll without deposit from scratch. Thanks to a lil help from a big bang cash of $35 i've now went from $0 to over $60 and things are ticking along. The problem here is i seem to have stagnated and can't find a way out of this level. My brm is tight and i'm following the 200 buy in for mtt's, 100 buy in for stt's and 50 buy in for cash. my personal twist as another layer of protection is that instead of moving my entire bankroll up i lock it. So if i make my 100 buy ins for stt's i won't move up until i have 10 buy ins for the next level and when those 10 buy ins are gone (if they go of course) i move straight back down and this is where the problems arise i think.

I can't seem to get off the bottom rung of stt's. Although i'm a pretty solid player and rarely make an overall loss i just can't find more than a 3rd place finish in this damn luck pot. Early bad stiations not withstanding i regularly find myself in the last 150 and more regularly find myself in the last 100 but i can't seem to get more than 1 good finish out of 100-150 tournament's. i scratch a few min cashes and manage a lucky final table on occasions but for some reason i just can't crack this.

Early on i play uber tight, middle i play solid but not bluffy and unfortunately the time i make it to ft if it's the lucky occasion i make it then it's all in or fold.

Any lesson's or reading material or advice would be greatly appreciated as i just want to level up a couple rungs and leave this luck infested crap shoot behind.

P.S.
I don't think my overall play is the problem as i'm making profit in cash and have gone from 10cent mtt's and leveled up to 25cent mtt's with regular cashes. I think it's the time restriction that's killing me here as it's hyper turbo.

Last edited by thephoenix11; Fri Apr 25, 2014 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: Addition

Old
Fri Apr 25, 2014, 08:21 PM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2012
BronzeStar
A piece of advise
Avoid the 10c games, they are crap shoots

Try the 25c 90-man or 45-man games.
You will have a lot less variance and be able to play true poker.

They are slower but if you want quick poker, tournament poker is never really going to be a good fit because the better you get at it, the bigger fields and the more time spent at the table is in store.

Grind the 25c games until your bankroll grows and as your experience grows start adding in some higher stake games like the 50c / $1 games.

Avoid Hyper...
Hyper is all about luck, it has nothing to do with poker. The decisions you make, the bets you make, the position you have, it doesn't matter because players are just shoving all in all the time. You would be better off playing online video-poker or a slot-machine.

The longer the levels, the more real poker comes into it since you are taking careful tactical moves like a game of chess. Hypers are more like a game of tic-tac-toe, X-O-X-X-X you win, next one O-X-O-O-O i win, next one (rinse and repeat)

Last edited by baud2death; Fri Apr 25, 2014 at 08:23 PM..

Old
Fri Apr 25, 2014, 09:01 PM
(#3)
As my brm is tight i have separated my br's for each keeping careful track of them. So my stt br currently only had 20cents in it. if it runs out i have a system in place so i make profit and store it for reloading if neccessary. i.e. i have my 200 buy ins for my 11 cent mtt's now and have around 100 buy ins for 25 cent so i still play the 11 cent tournies but any cashes that take me over 200 buy ins get's siphoned into my gbp account as profit. I've managed to make a profit withdrawal of £20 gbp so far but keep a reserve pot of £40gbp for possible reloads.

i know it's a bit of a screwed up system but i have ADHD so structure, and lists and stuff all help me play better. if i don't have a way of making profit to take out then ultimately i'm playing a never ending game of level up where i don't get to see any money. or that's how it goes in my head.

Should i bite the bullet on this and take a reload to enable me to skip the 2cent and 10cent level's? In my head i've been saying "i need to beat these level's not only to learn from them but to gain the experience of surviving them".

Is this a folly or should i stick to my guns?

Old
Sat Apr 26, 2014, 01:33 AM
(#4)
Since: Dec 2011
Yes skip the 2c and 10c SNG, and do the 25cent 45/90 man SNG's.... Stick to either the 45 or 90 man, once you have found the game you prefer.

I hate the phrase, but "grind" those games, certainly to start with, there are plenty of videos you can watch at School to help you, and plenty of people here will help you.

Keep a record of every game, i.e. Tournament number, buy-in, finishing position and your current B.R.

GL

Weasel

Last edited by WeaselBasher; Sat Apr 26, 2014 at 01:40 AM..

Old
Sat Apr 26, 2014, 05:29 AM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2013
The 2 cents sng's fill so slowly that it's rather humorous to say that you can "grind them", I wouldn't recommend skipping the 10cents though.
Although yeah they are high varianced due to the fast structure, you will advance your game on less than 10BBs level.
I think improving your game in all stack sizes is crucial if you want to become a profitable mtt/sng player.
Give the 10 cents a try and do your best to not get frustrated by the beats, cause they will happen... a lot.

Old
One Month - Thu May 01, 2014, 05:41 AM
(#6)
Ok so after looking at the responses and thinking about it i've come to a decision. I agree that i should skip the 2cent level. It's a hyper turbo game, it is not a style of game i plan on playing at any time in the future so there is no need to get to grips with it.

I am however going to give it one more month, just to see. I've been trying for around 5 months now but if i can't crack it by the end of this month i'm going to have to give it up and move up to 10cent 360's.

Unsure of weather to skip this level or not but again after thinking about it it's a neccessary evil.

Sure it's still a fish fest but it's the same structure as the 90man 25cent tournaments so i should go through it to gain experience.

Thanks for your responses it's been helpful.

Would still like to know if there's any material on hyper turbo strategy though as i'm always open to learning

Again thank you.

Old
Thu May 22, 2014, 04:41 AM
(#7)
Since: May 2013
SilverStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by thephoenix11 View Post
Ok so after looking at the responses and thinking about it i've come to a decision. I agree that i should skip the 2cent level. It's a hyper turbo game, it is not a style of game i plan on playing at any time in the future so there is no need to get to grips with it.

I am however going to give it one more month, just to see. I've been trying for around 5 months now but if i can't crack it by the end of this month i'm going to have to give it up and move up to 10cent 360's.

Unsure of weather to skip this level or not but again after thinking about it it's a neccessary evil.

Sure it's still a fish fest but it's the same structure as the 90man 25cent tournaments so i should go through it to gain experience.

Thanks for your responses it's been helpful.

Would still like to know if there's any material on hyper turbo strategy though as i'm always open to learning

Again thank you.
Man.... I dunno about you guys, but I like the 50c 360 man MTT. That's just me though.

Old
Thu Jul 03, 2014, 07:05 PM
(#8)
Since: Jan 2012
I have played around 2,500 25cent 45 mans at a roi of 35%. My worse downswing so far playing these games is just 38 buy ins.

You say you have $60 bankroll? Well, that is more than enough for these soft games. My advice, stop playing the bingo super turbos that are driving you insane, and start grinding a bankroll with the 45mans.

Old
Thu Jul 03, 2014, 07:07 PM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog Buster View Post
My advice, stop playing the bingo super turbos that are driving you insane, and start grinding a bankroll with the 45mans.
+1

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com