Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Pocket 9s reraise then flop over cards to my pocket 9s

Old
Pocket 9s reraise then flop over cards to my pocket 9s - Sat Apr 26, 2014, 06:48 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2014

Prelim note, this table played loosely. So I'm in position with pocket 9s. UTG raises to 2B. Which to me doesn't signal strength (especially from this player since he played passive). So i rerasied to 4B because I didn't necessarily want to scare UTG away just let him know that I had better cards than him. The BB calls as does UTG. Flop is 4, 10, 8. Both the BB and UTG check to me. Now, I'm a little nervous because of the 10 on the board so I decide to bet big (80% of the pot). It was enough for them to fold and me to take a decent pot.

My questions are, did I play it smart or recklessly with my pocket 9s? Also, how else could one play pocket pairs with an over card on the board?

Old
Sat Apr 26, 2014, 08:13 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
I prefer calling pre and seeing a cheap flop. If you decide to 3-bet (re-raise) then you should make it bigger, in order to put more pressure on your opponent. He's not going to fold to your minraise very often, you're not dissuading cold calls (the BB is priced in too) and you're going to see at least one overcard on the flop about 70% of the time.
As played, the c-bet is fine. Villains will usually fold any unpaired hands (plus underpairs) on this flop, apart from straight draws like J9. If you get called, just give up and check back in position on the turn unless you improve.

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com