Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

The Art Of PLO - Killeraxa89 Challenge

Old
The Art Of PLO - Killeraxa89 Challenge - Wed Apr 30, 2014, 03:08 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2012
Initially I wanted to start playing strictly PLO on May 1st but will have to wait until Friday to get in the groove of things.

Bankroll: $250
Limit: 5PL

Looking to play 25PL before the end of the year and if someone how I don't go broke make Supernova

Zoom vs normal tables is a tossup. I am leaning more for zoom cause I like 4 big tables in my view where i can clearly see all the action and not have a dull moment.

Anyway here goes nothing! This hand was from today testing 2 zoom tables. Its fun!

http://www.boomplayer.com/poker-hand...229_6E14D816FE

Old
Wed Apr 30, 2014, 03:37 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi Killer,

First, good luck in your quest

I looked at that hand and that was a definite fold on the 3bet
Remember, you have 6 possibilities of 2 cards, you need to have at least 3 possibilities to play your hand, that's the way I look at it.

Don't know if you've been reading my posts, but here it is:
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...s-2014-Updates

Old
Wed Apr 30, 2014, 05:54 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Wow, the $ were really flying there in that hand! Everyone was so eager to stack off with the non-nut draw :o

Although, those 3-straight, 2-flush, single-gapped flops tend to generate a lot of action in NL, so maybe it's not so surprising that it'd be the same in PLO - guess there's lots of potential to make lots of $, and lots of potential to lose lots of $ with those ...

That's a handy tip Sandtrap, about needing 3 possibilities ... not sure I'll ever play PLO again, but if I do, will have to try to keep that in mind

Although, now that i see KA mention the regular tables versus zoom tables thing, I guess at regular tables, there's the advantage of taking better notes if there isn't a lot of turnover at the tables? Never thought to try PLO at regular tables - wonder how I might like that ...

Guess I'm rambling a bit - just stopped in to wish you well KA ... hope the pots you win are big, and the ones you don't are small!!

Old
Wed Apr 30, 2014, 09:49 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2012
good luck... i guess ill be seeing you at the tables

Old
Thu May 01, 2014, 11:31 PM
(#5)
Will start tomorrow night. Today I played a test of 4 tables of zoom using just $20 I went up to $40 then lost it all after gaining like 80 VPP's LOL!

I think in zoom players are just too tight with their hand ranges, I may go the normal table route for now to build up a slow and stealer roll.

Old
Fri May 02, 2014, 12:00 AM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killeraxa89 View Post
I think in zoom players are just too tight with their hand ranges...............
Really??
The average VPIP is about 22 at 6 max Zoom and even higher at micro stakes. Remember, bluffing and stealing is not very high compared to NLH, so you need to play smart

Good Luck

Old
Fri May 02, 2014, 12:52 PM
(#7)
Will play 4 normal tables and hold off on the zoom for the moment to figure out some things.

Old
Fri May 02, 2014, 01:02 PM
(#8)
BronzeStar
From $20 to $40 to $80 ... that's quite a roller coaster - yikes!

One thing that I could never quite get a handle on with PLO was that (1) people were playing with danglers - and then making hands with them (which for me made ranging hard/confusing), and (2) and that people would stack off with both the nuts and much less than the nuts (which for me made ranging hard/confusing).

So like, basically I was confused pretty much all the time

Probably playing regular tables, and having the chance to play the same 5 people and develop more in-depth reads might have helped me with that - if you're sort of finding the same thing, then maybe (hopefully ) that'll be the case?

GL at the regular tables KA!!

Old
Fri May 02, 2014, 01:44 PM
(#9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustySam View Post
From $20 to $40 to $80 ... that's quite a roller coaster - yikes!

One thing that I could never quite get a handle on with PLO was that (1) people were playing with danglers - and then making hands with them (which for me made ranging hard/confusing), and (2) and that people would stack off with both the nuts and much less than the nuts (which for me made ranging hard/confusing).

So like, basically I was confused pretty much all the time

Probably playing regular tables, and having the chance to play the same 5 people and develop more in-depth reads might have helped me with that - if you're sort of finding the same thing, then maybe (hopefully ) that'll be the case?

GL at the regular tables KA!!
No I played with $20 in my account and doubled up to $40 but then coolers and beats happened. ITs all good though I didn't tilt or anything.

being 60 buyins deep with selective slow plays should ensure I don't go broke h
Btw have you added that extra zoom table yet Sam?

Old
Fri May 02, 2014, 02:35 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Oh right - 80VPPs, not $80 ... my reading comprehension issues strike again - d'oh!

Ya, guess we're both in the process of spreading our wings and trying out new things - me with the multi-tabling ...

Click to show hidden text

For me with the multi-tabling, was thinking of trying to get a larger sample size of practice in before deciding if it was a net plus or net negative - am not sure just yet, having only played the extra table for 10 minutes

Some early notes on that experience though, are that:

- my hands/hr may have actually dropped, because I was taking it slow
- because I started to articulate in my mind the specific reasons for folding/raising/calling for each hand before acting ... think maybe that was because I was feeling a bit overwhelmed by the extra 5 players, and wanted to make sure my thought-process remained clear? Not sure?
- and then the 10min were over LOL! (might have been about like 30 hands or something, not sure )

Guess I'll keep doing the 10min a day on weekdays until it starts to feel more natural, if ever? And then if I ever get to that point of things feeling more comfortable, I'll try adding in more time?

And hopefully it doesn't change my play! Am def keeping my eye out for signs of that.

Wish it came easier for me, but what can you do ... just have to try my best, and try to be the best me I can be I guess

Great to hear you didn't feel tilted - GL with tomorrow KA!!

Old
Sun May 04, 2014, 05:22 PM
(#11)
Keep at it Sam you will get the hang.

Me on the other hand cant get anything going at 5PLO been stuck after playing 2k hands lol. I will watch some videos and read up to improve. I wish I had the same success as Sandtrap his graphs look amazing!

ON the bright side of things I was able to run good in the Team Online Depositors Freeroll for a nice 2nd place vs Team Online Pro Mickey Peterson for a nice BR boost to $150. Gosh he owned me I suck at HU

Anyway that means my BR went from $250 to $400! I will of course stick to 5PLO until I beat that limit. Feels good to final table a tournament haven't done so in ages so thats a huge confidence booster onward!

Last edited by Killeraxa89; Sun May 04, 2014 at 06:24 PM..

Old
Sun May 04, 2014, 08:39 PM
(#12)
Hey Killer, I did a small video a while back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BroA2iK3sEI

Hope this can help you a bit
Good Luck

PS. Nice 2nd place

Old
Mon May 05, 2014, 05:05 PM
(#13)
BronzeStar
Which was more exciting - coming in 2nd in a tourney, winning $150, or having the chance to play Mickey Peterson heads-up? They must all be pretty up there?

Woohoo - so awesome KA!! You still on a bit of a high from the experience today?

I should make a point of doing a search on you on Sundays, so I don't miss the chance to rail you when you're in such an exciting spot - next time!

Any plans for the $?

Old
Tue May 06, 2014, 08:54 AM
(#14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap777 View Post
Hey Killer, I did a small video a while back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BroA2iK3sEI

Hope this can help you a bit
Good Luck

PS. Nice 2nd place
Thanks will check it out
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustySam View Post
Which was more exciting - coming in 2nd in a tourney, winning $150, or having the chance to play Mickey Peterson heads-up? They must all be pretty up there?

Woohoo - so awesome KA!! You still on a bit of a high from the experience today?

I should make a point of doing a search on you on Sundays, so I don't miss the chance to rail you when you're in such an exciting spot - next time!

Any plans for the $?
Haha the money is always #1 as little as it was. Love the fact that he was my first Team Online player I've faced HU but it wasn't all that fun, he was too good and crushed my soul :P

Its on my roll for PLO, I wish I could get to $600 for PLO10

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com