Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

cbetting on 3bet and 4bet pots

Old
cbetting on 3bet and 4bet pots - Wed Apr 30, 2014, 06:46 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013
I have trouble in situations here I have a pocket pair like QQ and the flop comes KXX and its heads up, is this a standard cbet? Because I think all non king hands fold. So is this a check to river and fold to any bet? Problem I have with checking to river is it allows opponents to stab at the pot based on my weakness.

Old
Wed May 07, 2014, 08:56 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2013
Imo, and I don’t really know, you should X as default.

Against fish, you can cb for value.

Against nit, you can mostly fold happily without cbet, but can try small value OTT or/and OTR if it looks like it.

Againts agro, maybe X/C is better than Bet, at least from theory standpoint.

Against normal tag – I would really always X – not sure though what is good line.

Old
Wed May 07, 2014, 09:02 AM
(#3)
Since: May 2013
I struggle here too.I think it is important to realise why we are betting.
In poker we bet for 2 reasons. Value or Bluff . Now Bluffing is not so hot in the micros . Why did we 3 bet our QQ? Value ! Now if an King hits the flop we are no longer betting for value , only as a bluff.
Unless you know the opponent has a high fold to flop bet , i don't think you should bet.

Last edited by awmm83; Wed May 07, 2014 at 12:13 PM..

Old
Wed May 07, 2014, 10:09 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
With QQ on Kxx, checking is nearly always correct, whether it's a 3-bet pot or not.
Whether you choose to call one street or two depends on your reads.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 07, 2014, 10:49 AM
(#5)
Since: Nov 2012
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pockettones View Post
I have trouble in situations here I have a pocket pair like QQ and the flop comes KXX and its heads up, is this a standard cbet? Because I think all non king hands fold. So is this a check to river and fold to any bet? Problem I have with checking to river is it allows opponents to stab at the pot based on my weakness.
Based on the amount of times I am getting stung (in the past and even recently) where I am hitting QQ vs Kx or Ax with K/A onboard, I have had to revise my thinking a lot on this.

Normally I would say that a c-bet is worthwhile on A/K boards, mainly because if your opponent doesn't have it you can represent it. Not as important when you have QQ though.

When an Ace/King shows, I am playing for the smallest pot I can, I really only want to be calling 1 or 2 bets and if the opponent isn't willing to keep it that cheap.

To me i look at it like I have 22 and board is 8s, 9s and Jacks, only worse because if there is an Ace or King it is a lot more likely our opponent has it.

After all QQ is still just a pair

Old
Fri Mar 13, 2015, 09:00 AM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2014
Do the same apply with KK on AXX board?

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com