Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

AA vs 89s How bad is this bad beat really?

Old
AA vs 89s How bad is this bad beat really? - Fri May 02, 2014, 04:34 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
How bad is this bad beat really?
Did I do something wrong or simply today is not my day?

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Old
Fri May 02, 2014, 06:27 AM
(#2)
Since: Mar 2014
Hi Mono, i think you played this hand just fine. I have no idea as to why a player in middle position is open raising 8xBB with 89 suited. I'd play it exactly how you did, a 3 bet would leave you pretty short should he choose to flat call and its probably all going in on the flop if so, so shoving this pre is the correct play in my opinion. It is a tough beat to take but just know that AA will win this more than 75% of the time. And i for one only remember the times my Aces get cracked

Old
Fri May 02, 2014, 06:38 AM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2012
BronzeStar
78% vs 21% roughly

So its about the same as someone having an Ace high flush draw vs you having KK on the turn and them hitting an Ace or a Flush on the river.

Its not that much of a bad beat, you played it perfect, he was terrible in getting it in here.

If he had nothing on the flop and flopped (say 7-5-2 rainbow), it still would have only improved the hand by 1-2%, so it was all down to the runner, runner.

It all comes down to what you judge as a bad beat, my justification is <10%

Old
Fri May 02, 2014, 07:16 AM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2011
Here is my 78s play in the middle, following call. Do you think its OK to play it like this?

Old
Fri May 02, 2014, 09:36 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi MonoPolygamy!

bet sizes are the key here and these are far off of standard. Postflop, bet sizes need to be sized based on the size of the pot, number of opps and board texture. With 3 opps, I MUST bet 3/4 pot.
On the turn, with only one opp, I need to bet 1/2 pot.

Players that make abnormal bet sizes are basically turning their cards face-up to an observant opponent. Here, by limping, then betting too small twice, then overbetting the river, it screams that the player has a hand that was made on the river... and due to this, the player won't be able to get their river bet called by an observant player.. losing critical value.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

P.S. Please in the future, post 1 hand per thread, so that the conversations can stay on-topic.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri May 02, 2014, 10:58 AM
(#6)
Since: Nov 2012
BronzeStar
I agree with JWK24, this is a mistake I have made before, you want to get max value from your hand and over-bet hoping for value. Most times than not, you will get folded to by worse hands and raised by better hands and will usually only work when playing vs baby fish who don't know better.

I had a hand the other day, 1st level and it was SB vs BB, i had Ax suited and the flop comes two hears and an Ace. Opp checks, I 50% the pot and he calls. Turn comes another heart, opp checks again i 50% and he calls. River comes a King, opp checks, I 50% it, he calls. He had KJ, 1 heart and I had the nut flush.

The pot was 45 chips preflop.
40 more went in on the flop (now 85)
80 more went in on the turn (now 165)
160 more went in on the river (now 325)

All i got from my opponent was 155 chips, 10% of his stack
However if I had overbet any of those streets I could have lost ANY value

It is annoying but we can't be thinking of our chips in $$$, think of them in BB and whilst we would have loved for the pot to be heavily bloated early on for it bloat more and more, it wasn't so we can't overbet.

Overbet = losing value

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com